Cont'd from 5mi run...How to keep up w/ milage while BF'ing??

SamanthaEve

Barefooters
May 28, 2012
I haven't got out again barefoot since Saturday, but going out again tonight sans shoes. I did a few in my Vibrams since then and a couple in my regular worn down Mizuno's, but still focusing on my new form. It's hard for me to run barefoot every day because I like to run medium distances (5-7miles) at least a couple times a week and then a long run on the weekend of 10+ miles. I've adapted really well since starting, I never ran barefoot then my first time did 2 miles BF and then another 5 in the Vibrams and woke up the next day and did it again no problem, but I am worried to do more miles or every day BF....that I won't be able to sustain BF running every day and still put in 30 or more miles a week. Maybe if I run a mile or two every day BF then put on my Vibe's or regular shoes to get my longer distances in?? Any thoughts or suggestions?? The books or articles I've read all say start really slow and easy and I just don't work that way! My body adapts really well (thank God!) when I go all in, but still get worried about taking it TOO far. I still want to keep my mileage up while running more BF. I'd love to hear how you all handled this-thanks!

Perhaps all of your beach running has helped better prepare you for the transition to barefoot?

Here's a recent thread where people provided their thoughts on increasing barefoot distance.
Increasing the mileage on the soles?

I don't know if it's better to go full minimalist/barefoot, or switch back and forth with the Mizuno's (heel-strike?) to get your miles in. Maybe other people have more experience with this.

Once you are ready and have conditioned yourself fully, I know that you can run over 30 miles per week. I was up to 40 per week, mostly in the 30s the later part of the first year of my running barefoot.

But with barefoot running, you do need to start slow and easy and practice patience, or you will injure yourself.

If you want to run barefoot, I would stop flip flopping between running shod and barefoot, it just will slow down your progression. When I decided to run barefoot I donated every running shoe I had to Goodwill so I didn't have a choice but to run barefoot. I was running somewhat high mileage at that time when I was running shod, and knew I had to take a drastic cut in mileage. I really didn't care though, it was fun to start over with a new style of running. You may seem invincible now but it only takes one run to get a little injury that would even set you back more, trust me I was there in the beginning. TJ has it right you need patience right now.

The books and articles are right when they say take it slow. Right now it's not about mileage or speed, it's about perfecting your form and taking it slow.

I think it's better to alternate a full run barefoot with one in footwear if you want to mix the two. I always have felt like I got more out of nice long periods of meditating on the motion for entraining relaxation and ease. Don't bother doing any run any less than a half hour. If that means doing some walking then do that.

I have the same issue - been BFR since about March and dropped from ~5 miles shod to 0.5 BFR (since then, I've built up to 2.5 to 2.7 miles). A few days ago, I did a 5 mile run and split it: 1/2 shod and 1/2 BFR - seemed to work OK, though I'm not sure what the long term consequences would be. I did watch my stride while wearing shoes to see that I did not revert to heel-striking (I didn't).

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your input! To Sid and in general when I am running in my Mizuno's or any runs now I am absolutely focusing on my form, not reverting back to a heel strike. I've watched a few videos from the websites everyone told me about (thank you for those) to better understand my form. I can really feel a difference now and realized that when I get a little tired I can feel my stride changing (to longer, more shuffle stride) so I slow down and revert to the high cadence, short stride, watch my posture, etc. Any who-that was a tangent-just really felt good about my form today, even in shoes.

Barefoot Gentile -how was your transition? What mileage did you drop down too and how long did it take to get back to your old mileage (if that was still your goal). I can totally see how exciting it is to 'start over' in running...I feel like that a little already with trying to tweak my form and actually think about what I'm doing vs. just running! I don't think I'm ready to just toss my shoes yet...maybe come this fall/winter when it cools down and I've had some transitioning. At least now with switching I can still focus on the form, do some BF exercises, learn some more, so come this fall or winter it's a solid possibility. Plus I really need those endorphins to get through my work week now:) The long runs do that for me and get me outside all afternoon.

Alas this thing called patience:) There's always room for more...I'll take a few good spoonfuls:) Have a wonderful running week everyone!:barefoot:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7