cheetah makes me regret being bipedal

I have to admit when watching this earlier tonight, I was somewhat curious about the giraffe's abilities, as well. I also envy the ease with which sea mammals swim, especially those with blowholes.

GEORGEOUS! What a beautiful creature! Love the way he (or she) never takes her eye off her prey.

Sid, do you know that giraffes can get their necks locked together in a fight, and if they don't get them lose, they can die, from starvation, predators, etc.?

Reactions: scedastic and Sid
Sid, do you know that giraffes can get their necks locked together in a fight, and if they don't get them lose, they can die, from starvation, predators, etc.?
I wonder if that applies to moose and deer and such, too? I was just amazed to see them use their necks in such a way. That pendulum swing along with the ossicones must generate a tremendous amount of force in a small area. Would easily crush a person's skull or pelvis. If I ever see one winding up at the feeding platform at the zoo, I'm running far, far away.

Reactions: scedastic
I wonder if that applies to moose and deer and such, too? I was just amazed to see them use their necks in such a way. That pendulum swing along with the ossicones must generate a tremendous amount of force in a small area. Would easily crush a person's skull or pelvis. If I ever see one winding up at the feeding platform at the zoo, I'm running far, far away.
Deer get their antlers locked up all the time and die, it's actually very common. Sometimes you'll come across "dramatic" rescue videos of someone coming across two locked up bucks that are still alive and they chainsaw the antlers to release them. Most of the time hunters will come across the skeletons still locked together.

Reactions: scedastic and Sid
That's what I was going to say too, Shaun. I've seen a video where the deer lock together like that, and the narrator said they could die if they don't free themselves. It's very sad. But it seems there's a lesson in there that we should all pay attention to.

Hee. I was thinking more along the lines that we should all get along or we will end up annihilating each other.