Channeling Lomad

Haselsmasher

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
Recently Lomad had a HILARIOUS post "over there". He did a review of his walking boot. It was a one-sentence review: "It sucks."

Well - I can concur: MRI last Saturday. Today follow-up and diagnosis: Calcaneal stress reaction. 3 wks of the boot.

Lovely.

Actually - it could be a lot worse. My doc says his preferred treatment for this is a cast, but he thinks mine isn't too awfully bad. I can swim - which is wonderful.

Jim

Awww, man. Sorry to hear

Awww, man. Sorry to hear that. I go in tomorrow morning for a more thorough exam/diagnosis and my sentence, er, I mean, how long I'll have to be booted.

Hope you heal soon and are back at it! Good luck.

Thanks.  Best of luck to you

Thanks. Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes.

I'm kind of chuckling. I've already had an email exchange with my PT and he said to be sure and weara shoe with a heel on the good foot so the pelvis doesn't get screwed up.

I had to go digging around in my closet to see if I even HAD any "high heeled sneakers" left.
bigsmile.png

Jim

I feel for you.  The

I feel for you. The difference is I don't have to wear my boot. I have my second surgery tomorrow morning at 6:30 a.m. We should have us a pity party, the three of us.

Full disclosure: Mine is not really a boot. It's a shoe. But it's like a boot except that it doesn't go over the ankle...and is much cuter.

Best of luck tomorrow, TJ!  I

Best of luck tomorrow, TJ! I know you said in another post you're really not looking forward to it (who would be?), but at least know, in contrast to the first surgery, that after this one you're done.

I think I know the walking shoe of which you talk. I've never had one but I've seen them.

Jim

Thanks.  But I think I'm

Thanks. But I think I'm going to have a much harder case with this foot. My heart's already beating fast. I'm actually more scared than I was the first time. I'm not normally a baby, as I've put up with much from my feet. But this all sucks! the pain, not being able to get around, and mostly, not knowing if I will heal well enough and rid myself of the problem.

Haselsmasher wrote:Thanks.

Haselsmasher said:
Thanks. Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes.

I'm kind of chuckling. I've already had an email exchange with my PT and he said to be sure and weara shoe with a heel on the good foot so the pelvis doesn't get screwed up.

I had to go digging around in my closet to see if I even HAD any "high heeled sneakers" left.
bigsmile.png

Jim

HA! I'm wearing a foot coffin on my left foot as i type! I tried a minimal shoe the first couple days, but it was too lopsided.

Well, I now have two foot

Well, I now have two foot coffins. They really want me to wear them anytime I'm out of bed (I guess when I'm crawling around on the floor), but my feet hurt worse when they're on than when they are not on.

Thank you, Jim.Full

Thank you, Jim.

Full disclosure: I actually have three "shoes." I left my first one at home thinking after he removed the stitches I wouldn't need it anymore. But NOOOOO! He said, "Where's your shoe?" I said, "At home." He says, "Well, you're not leaving here without one on that foot too!" :cry:

He took out the stitches on the first foot while I was under sedation for the second foot, put on some butterfly bandages, wrapped my foot back up (boy, is it sore now!), and stuck a shoe on it!

This sucks I'm having to call my feet first foot and second foot. Should that be first foot and last foot? Hee.

I updated my original post in

I updated my original post in Ask the Docs as to current status.

TL;DR version- no stress fracture, boot is gone, but I am not completely in the clear. i'm in shoes, with a metatarsal pad to relive pressure on the sore spot. Diagnosis=Metatarsalgia.

After it heals up I can

After it heals up I can return to "normal activity." I don't think the podiatrist and I saw eye to eye on what "normal" is with regard to running, lol. To be honest, I don't know what i'll do as far as running goes. The low metatarsal concerns me, as I can feel it very pronounced whrn I dorsiflex at the toe. That puts it at risk if i don't have spot-on form.

ah, well. I have a few weeks to think it over. He told me if he put me in crutches I'd probably be fin in 2-3 weeks. As it stands, I'm probably 4 weeks or so out.

So he's guaranteeing you that

So he's guaranteeing you that after he has treated you sufficiently, you should be able to go to shod running (cushioned shoes) without risk to that metatarsal? Metatarsalgia is something that shod runners deal with too. Perhaps try those self-made toe orthotics I meantioned before. Dr. Burt mailed me his book and a couple of pads that could be used for this purpose. They're thick enough to lift that toe head in alignment with the others. He suggested for those who don't have the "exact" pad like he sent to me to use a thick, rubber mouse pad and cut it down to size to fit your toe. You could even get elastic and sew it to the pad. Maybe figure out some way to get Velcro to work. That would be nice and convenient. They have differing sizes of these materials at your craft store. Check out his post I told you about. It's worth a try.

I wish you can get back to barefoot running safely, Lo, but most of all I wish you well in whatever you choose to do.

Wow Lomad, sounds like you

Wow Lomad, sounds like you have some thinking to do. TJ suggested velcro, but velcro does not stretch and would not allow the foot to move properly. Maybe make a combo of elastic with velcro sewn onto the ends? I wish you luck Lomad, whether you decide to run barefoot or minimalist. I hope no matter what you will not go back to the clunkers that are called running shoes.

Well, I wouldn't have

Well, I wouldn't have believed a guarantee had he given one. I think the barefoot orthotic posted earlier has some potential; as does a minimal shoe with the same sort of arrangement. if the Altra instincts fit my foot I would probably go that route (and may try again just to rule them out). I know they aren't super minimal, but they are zero drop without being overly cushioned.

BFR is not off the table, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't giving multiple options equal consideration.

That's perfectly fine and

That's perfectly fine and understandable, what you're going through and what you're thinking through. Any of us would be doing the same.

Those Morton's Toe orthotics work (probably) better inside shoes, since they well be less likely to slip off. So if you have to become a minshoe runner, we'll understand. Just don't become a boat anchor runner!

Whatever you do Lomad, don't

Whatever you do Lomad, don't leave us! I enjoy your company!

Oh, I won't be going

Oh, I won't be going anywhere. The company here is too good. Plus; I don't know if I can run in foot coffins anyway. Minshoes will probably be my "safety" choice.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7