Can I expect this to improve?

Another newbie question, please forgive.

I went on my every-other-day bf run today, this time to a nearby wilderness park with trails of decomposed granite. Total running distance was about 1.75 miles, interspersed with a bit of walking. Though before I began the run I had a bit of a niggle in my right hip/thigh/knee (sorta feels like an ITB-type thing), the run felt generally pretty darn good. I even passed a shod runner, without even trying.

Then I got home, and proceeded to wash my feet. I noticed (and, worse, FELT) a rather large blood blister forming on the ball of my left foot. And though no blister is there, the ball of my right foot is crying as well.

It's clear from this repeated blistering that I have some form issues to deal with. My question is, simply, can I expect that this will improve, as in cease, as I correct my form issues, or are blisters something I just have to learn to live with if I want to run barefoot? I notice that blisters tend to form when I run on these trails, but on pavement, not so much.

I've read that, if I run properly, I SHOULDN'T have blisters, but that's not much help here in the beginning as I'm learning proper technique. Any tips on what I might do to address and correct this would be greatly appreciated.

Being a barefoot runner does not mean you have to have blisters. Having blisters means two things to me. First, your skin is not yet developed and secondly, you may have a form issue. It can take a month or two or 6 (me), but the blisters do go away as long as you figure out what you are doing incorrectly. Blisters are often caused by reaching out in front of your body with your feet instead of coming down nearly directly under you, "gripping" the ground with your toes, pushing off instead of lifting of the feet, and too long of strides. Eventually you'll get it, we all do it just takes time. It's sometimes difficult to figure out exactly what you're doing wrong. For me it was exceptionally difficult (hence the 6 months of blisters and just worn out holes in balls of my feet) because I have to push a stroller on nearly every run.

I have been running BF for a year and a half and still get blisters occasionally. Usually I know why I got them. Either it was a longer run or on a rougher surface than what I normally run on. Eventually they do become less frequent. I had a 14 mile run last week and was surprised that I actually didn't get any from that as it seems like each distance increase produces at least one or two blisters. Like Nick said, often mine are caused by overreaching with my stride, but in time (and with practice) you will learn what is a good stride for you and how far you can push yourself before you begin to get blisters.

Another newbie question, please forgive.

I went on my every-other-day bf run today, this time to a nearby wilderness park with trails of decomposed granite. Total running distance was about 1.75 miles, interspersed with a bit of walking. Though before I began the run I had a bit of a niggle in my right hip/thigh/knee (sorta feels like an ITB-type thing), the run felt generally pretty darn good. I even passed a shod runner, without even trying.

Then I got home, and proceeded to wash my feet. I noticed (and, worse, FELT) a rather large blood blister forming on the ball of my left foot. And though no blister is there, the ball of my right foot is crying as well.

It's clear from this repeated blistering that I have some form issues to deal with. My question is, simply, can I expect that this will improve, as in cease, as I correct my form issues, or are blisters something I just have to learn to live with if I want to run barefoot? I notice that blisters tend to form when I run on these trails, but on pavement, not so much.

I've read that, if I run properly, I SHOULDN'T have blisters, but that's not much help here in the beginning as I'm learning proper technique. Any tips on what I might do to address and correct this would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you could have been running to fast which contributed to.....to much with in adequate technique. My recommendation would be to slow down and make sure you feel your feet land relaxed under you with pressure quickly transitioning off the forefoot. How would you describe your feelings of pressure on and off your feet for this run?

Reactions: Lomad
Yeah, I'm thinking that, among other form errors, I likely WAS running too fast. When I compare my pace bf vs shod, I'm running significantly faster bf. During the run I'm not aware of foot blistering, but afterward I sure am. So, this is why Barefoot Ken Bob recommends stopping during a run periodically to check your soles. Guess I better slow down and heed the counsel of the masters, huh?

Thom,

What about pressure on your feet? Where did you notice that during the run?
That's the thing...I wasn't conscious of any unusual pressure or discomfort at the time. Maybe had I stopped during, I might have noticed the start of blisters. I guess the lesson is: stop and check even if I feel great at the time.

I think I've had blisters twice, and none in the last 20 months or so. Tighten up on your form, especially keeping your feet neatly under you as you land. Pushing a stroller helps you focus, I've found, That's how I got my worse blistering. You're going to do fine, I think. You certainly don't overdo the milage.

ThomDavid, how long have you been running barefoot? How long have you been running in general, shod or barefoot? Are you a new runner? I know you are in the beginning stages but to me this is not a big deal. Now it's time to take a few days off, then get back out there. The most important thing right now is work on your form. Speed, distance, terrain all come last. The last thing you want to worry about is passing a shod runner at this point, I understand the excitement. But the niggle in your hip, the feeling of an coming ITBS issue, you need to reel back in or you will injury yourself. Your feet are talking to you right now, and they are saying I need a break.

Yes you can run properly and have blisters, it's called baby plantar skin that needs conditioning. NickW explained it perfectly in his post. Look at the long term of this barefoot running adventure, I felt it took me a good solid year to adapt. Patience is key, something I didn't have and had a few set backs. It all comes together, trust me.

Reactions: Lomad
Yes you can run properly and have blisters, it's called baby plantar skin that needs conditioning. NickW explained it perfectly in his post.
It's amazing how long the built up plantar skin lasts even when not running barefoot. Last week I ran barefoot on a trail for 1 1/2-2 miles after not running bf in 3 months and did not have one blister or even sore spot. I ran barefoot on pavement today and did not have any raw spots either. Once it's built up it stays built up for a while. I probably could not do a half marathon or anything at this point, but I am pretty confident I would be able to do 4-5 miles with no issues.

look at your speed and how hard you're landing. i raced this weekend over some trail and have a large blood blister on my heel and one under my big toe. i know that i slamm down harder when i go faster and i guess i just caught a couple of rocks at the right time.

slow down, for now. work on form and landing soft. there will be plenty of races to go fast and get blood blisters. oh, i took one day off and then did a recovery run. another day off then a brutal trail run. lots of gravel, pain, no blisters. just a whiney friend.

ThomDavid, how long have you been running barefoot? How long have you been running in general, shod or barefoot? Are you a new runner? I know you are in the beginning stages but to me this is not a big deal. Now it's time to take a few days off, then get back out there. The most important thing right now is work on your form. Speed, distance, terrain all come last. The last thing you want to worry about is passing a shod runner at this point, I understand the excitement. But the niggle in your hip, the feeling of an coming ITBS issue, you need to reel back in or you will injury yourself. Your feet are talking to you right now, and they are saying I need a break.

Yes you can run properly and have blisters, it's called baby plantar skin that needs conditioning. NickW explained it perfectly in his post. Look at the long term of this barefoot running adventure, I felt it took me a good solid year to adapt. Patience is key, something I didn't have and had a few set backs. It all comes together, trust me.

BF, I began running in the 70s (I actually owned a pair of Nike Cortez), though not at all consistently. Have run a single marathon, 5 halfs, many more 10K and 5Ks -- all shod. My motivation to run bf is because I always ended up injured, and had to stop, and once stopped, it was hard to get moving again. I picked up again last fall, after having put on 50 pounds and feeling like a slug. The 50 pounds are gone, I completed a half-marathon last month -- and was injured again. This time, I am determined not to fall to the usual fate of taking so much time off that I lose motivation and slide back into old habits. And once I began to see the benefits of bf running, I thought it might be the answer to my prayers. So, I began practicing bf running on September 1, just about 2 weeks ago.

Running shod, I pretty much never paid attention to form; I would just get out and run. Probably 98% of non-elite mid-pack runners approach their runs the same way. And since I have more than a few years under my belt, I've got plenty of un-learning to do. But, thank goodness, I stumbled upon this site, as well as had the opportunity to take a Ken Bob workshop. You guys have all been terrific and patient with my newbie-ness, and I sure appreciate all the pointers.

I'm taking today off completely (well, maybe some core work, but no running). I've evaluate where I am tomorrow. But clearly, the lesson is: easy landing, slower pace, keep the feet under my body. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Sid
Good stuff! You are definitely a runner and not new to it. I just ask that question to get some history, you are well on your way. Nice job shedding those 50 pounds. It's just growing pains which will happen a lot in the beginning with transitioning to barefoot running.

I got to meet Ken Bob briefly last year at the NYC Barefoot Run last year, he is a great person.

ThomDavid,

Great progress and keep at it! I'm a little over a year into this barefoot/minimalist thing, and it is still an ongoing and productive journey. While my progress over the whole year has been significant, it has not been linear, and there are definitely days or even weeks when I need to dial it back, give myself some rest, and then re-start with lower mileage. I find barefoot walking to be very "restorative" on those days when my body tells me that I need a break from running.

Lots of good advice on the blisters above. I've found that I get blisters when I push speed, and slowing down a little usually solves the problem. As mentioned above, blisters on the toes or balls of the foot may be a sign of too much "pushing off." As a new barefoot runner, learning to minimize the pushing off was one of the hardest things to learn, and I still struggle with it some days. A mental trick that I use is to imagine I'm running on a fragile surface while trying not to break it, like running on eggshells or light bulbs.

ThomDavid,

Great progress and keep at it! I'm a little over a year into this barefoot/minimalist thing, and it is still an ongoing and productive journey. While my progress over the whole year has been significant, it has not been linear, and there are definitely days or even weeks when I need to dial it back, give myself some rest, and then re-start with lower mileage. I find barefoot walking to be very "restorative" on those days when my body tells me that I need a break from running.

Lots of good advice on the blisters above. I've found that I get blisters when I push speed, and slowing down a little usually solves the problem. As mentioned above, blisters on the toes or balls of the foot may be a sign of too much "pushing off." As a new barefoot runner, learning to minimize the pushing off was one of the hardest things to learn, and I still struggle with it some days. A mental trick that I use is to imagine I'm running on a fragile surface while trying not to break it, like running on eggshells or light bulbs.

Thanks for the encouragement AND the great tips, Chuck! The mental image of running on a fragile surface is one that will definitely help me to remember to run lighter, and LIFT my feet rather than pushing off with them. Old habits are hard to break, and you and all the others I think have diagnosed the cause of my blisters quite accurately: too fast too soon, too far too soon, too much pushing and not enough lifting.

It's a continual source of amazement to me just how different this style of running is from shod, and makes me realize that although THIS is the natural way we were meant to run, modern shoe technology has so screwed us up that it's now an EFFORT to learn to do something that should come naturally. My wife is a non-runner who is actually thinking of taking it up (barefoot, of course), and I sort of envy her in that she has no un-learning to do. She can just learn to run the barefoot way from the ground up, with no speed or distance expectations to cloud her progress.

But, that's the cross we "formerly shod" must bear, I suppose. Thanks again for your very kind words and very useful advice. I can't believe how incredibly helpful and welcoming the folks on this board have been. I hope one day to be able to give back in kind. But, as came to me today in my yoga practice, you cannot teach what you do not yet know. Patience. Patience. Patience. Cheers!

Thom,

The difference between min shod and barefoot form shouldn't be vastly different. Your current experience is that way due to never viewing and practicing running a a SKILL. Being barefoot forces one to view and practice running ad a SKILL. If/when a shod runner recognizes that running is a SKILL. He/she can begin the process of doing better technique and running. As a min shoe primarily runner I don't think that barefoot running is vastly different than min shoe running. Infact I prefer min shod.

take your pic. except for josh, dan, and chris.

Thom,

The difference between min shod and barefoot form shouldn't be vastly different. Your current experience is that way due to never viewing and practicing running a a SKILL. Being barefoot forces one to view and practice running ad a SKILL. If/when a shod runner recognizes that running is a SKILL. He/she can begin the process of doing better technique and running. As a min shoe primarily runner I don't think that barefoot running is vastly different than min shoe running. Infact I prefer min shod.

Yep, I am getting that lesson more and more each day. Running shod may be something that you "just go out and do," but barefoot running clearly is something that you must "go out and learn." I never much cared for running with an iPod or such, but it is (at least to me) almost unthinkable, certainly at the stage of learning where I am. Any even after I've gotten the skill, why would I ever want to take myself out of the experience. I can listen to music anytime, but even on the few barefoot runs I've been on, the experience seems almost out-of-body, at the very least out-of-the-ordinary. I want to be in that moment, not out of it.

It's hard to forget "everything I know" about running, but I can see why that's essential. "Everything I know" about running is pretty much wrong.

Here's to admitting when you're wrong, and being proud to do it!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7