Can C25K be worked/combined with Maffetone theories?

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
I'm working on C25K (E25K as my app is called, very similar), and I'm kind of interested in this Maffetone method. I haven't done tons of research on it, but it sounds like it's mainly a way for you to train using heartrate as a way to know your max workout intensity.

I'm wondering if it's possible to combine those methods with the C25K program. I don't have a HRM right now but I'm pretty sure my HR is through the roof during those 60 second runs, which leaves me huffing and puffing and barely able to go on. My HR get elevated so easily that it seems like I'd have to barely be walking or above to keep my HR under the max level. But I really want to run and be able to increase the amount I run.

Should I just try to complete C25K and get to where I can run for 3 miles, and then get on into Maffetone methods? Thoughts or suggestions?

From what I know, it would

From what I know, it would probably be best to start out with the Maffetone method, especially if your struggling already. There are a lot of benefits, despite me not agreeing with "everything" that people say about it, and it would be a great base for you.

geez, i don't know about

geez, i don't know about using it for a new runner but i don't see why not. it's base building for your aerobic system and not to find your max hr. you take 180 minus your age, subtract ten. that's your aerobic zone. if you want to get into long distance, burn fat, feel great, take it easy, build your aerobic system, and probably more benes than i can think of, go for it.

I think it can be done, but

I think it can be done, but it's all going to hinge on where you're starting. You need to know where you are and just like starting a diet or exercise program, you should begin with starting numbers. If you can't track your progress, there is no way to tell if you're going in the right direction or headed down a rabbit hole. I'd get the book and a monitor and a journal. Try doing the C25K and track where your rate is. You should be able to use that to keep you in the prescribed zone, even if it's a loose model and you end up walking early or running slower than you want. I say give it a shot, but gather your tools and track your progress.

Let us know how it works out for you!

-Jonny

I dont see why not. I think

I dont see why not. I think it would be a benifit if anything!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jase