Can anyone recommend an iPhone arm band?

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
I'm looking for something that will still allow touch screen input, and also keep sweat away from the phone. Any suggestions?

I actually tried to follow Michael Sandler's advice to keep everything as balanced as possible (and I also find armbands a bit uncomfortable after some time), and bought a very light running belt at REI. It's worked great for me, I don't feel my phone at all during running, can get it out any time I want/need and place it back in, and as mentioned before, there's no more imbalance (as slight as it might have been) and it feels great to not have anything on your arms.

Since this belt is very light, it's also small and only allows me to carry the iPhone and nothing else, so I also bought a small key pocket (originally intended for shoelaces) where I put my car keys and hang it on the back side of the belt. I saw other kinds of belts at the store, bigger ones and actually one that had a "window" specially designed for iPhones' screens, but I liked the one I bought for its simplicity and don't regret it.

I know running belts are not what you were asking about, but hope you find it a good option as it has been for me. Good luck!
--
JL

Ive heard similar things. I think especially for BF runners, we are not used to anything getting in our way or being an extra weight. I just got a cheap-o belkin arm band until my spibelt comes in the mail. I hate the armband. It falls down to my elbow and rubs it raw, sweat builds up quickly behind the neoprene back and strap. I’ve heard that some love the armbands and some hate them. What seem to get the best reviews is the armpocket brand. If you insist on an armband Id go with this. However, if I were you I’d test out the armband from a store near by first to see if you will like it. That way, you can easily return it if it doesn’t work for you.
Just a thought

also...not sure if ur interested in a good running app, but runkeeper is exceptional

Thanks. I'm currently using E25K (see sig) and after I finish that and can actually run for 30 minutes straight, I'll probably just continue on with the MapMyRun app that I also have.

One reason for wanting something like an arm band is to get the phone out of my shorts pocket. I'm thinking that may help with the GPS mapping accuracy of those 2 running apps I have. On a few occasions the distance shown on E25K after a workout has been way off, and the route shows a couple of skewed portions that I did not actually follow.

I've got the Belkin like Zetti, I don't have the same problems of it falling down though unless I leave it loose. The trick for me is to make sure I tighten it enough. I don't love it by any means, but I don't hate it. If you can find a belt like JL was talking about that would probably be great. That is something I would like to find for myself because I really don't like the armband for when I am at the gym working out.

Thanks. I'm currently using E25K (see sig) and after I finish that and can actually run for 30 minutes straight, I'll probably just continue on with the MapMyRun app that I also have.

One reason for wanting something like an arm band is to get the phone out of my shorts pocket. I'm thinking that may help with the GPS mapping accuracy of those 2 running apps I have. On a few occasions the distance shown on E25K after a workout has been way off, and the route shows a couple of skewed portions that I did not actually follow.
I've found that is pretty common with an Iph app. This is why I bought a Garmin. Seems satellites keep better connection than phones.

I've found that is pretty common with an Iph app. This is why I bought a Garmin. Seems satellites keep better connection than phones.

yep...thats why I now use it as a fun little tool and dont rely on it. Worse comes to worse and I can just look up my route on mapmyrun or running ahead and record my time. If I really cared about pinpoint accruacy and dependability i would get a gps watch as Nick mentioned =)

In either case, let us know what you decide and how well it works for you!

Oh yeah I forgot, another reason for wanting an arm band is that I'm thinking I might be able to hear the running prompts from E25K from the phone's external speaker, depending on the arm band design, without needing headphones. I started running without music this week, but it's kind of annoying to still need my headphones for the prompts. Sometimes one earbud will jiggle out of my ear, which is SUPER annoying as it seems to throw off my whole pace and form as I try to stick it back in.

Although it is rather funny to be able to hear any possibly bystander comments while they think I can't hear them. :p

Depending on how noisy your environment is, you may not hear it even up close to your ear in an armband. I never use headphones and only use the external speaker and some roads are just to loud to hear anything, while others are just fine. I have my Iphone in the stroller in front of me near hip level most of the time. I notice there isn't a lot of difference when I wear it in the arm band.

I'm pretty happy with the setup I use:
* I have the running belt (http://www.rei.com/product/798346/amphipod-airflow-microstretch-waistpack) with my iPhone in it,
* RunMeter for the app (I love it, I guess the app it's just a matter of taste)
* Wahoo Heart-Rate monitor that integrates with RunMeter (I'm on the Maffetone method)
* And I use some cheap RadioShack neck-back headphones (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4403692&filterName=Category) that don't move at all while running. I know they're cheap and probably not the best option, but I didn't want to spend $70-100 bucks for similar ones from Nike or Puma. They're very comfortable, come with 4 sets of tips and one of them is a foam-based one that lets you hear your surroundings; since I run on a long running track, that's not an issue for me but it may well be if you run on the street.

What I like the most of this setup is that I really don't feel I have anything on, and the sensation of freedom is great. Hope this info helps :)
--
JL

Ah yes those types of headphones. I just use the normal Apple earbuds. I've never been able to get used to the in-ear type of buds, they always feel super weird to me.

with a little over 200 miles with my spi-belt....I can say....it is great.
I usually can feel that it is there, but its 100times better than the armband I was using.
Plus its more discrete :)
Just thought an update might be appropriate.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon