Reviewed By: Gidds

picture-12528.jpg

Date Reviewed: 09/18/2011
Review Type: Trail
Barefoot Friendliness: 2 Above Average

7525 W. County HIGHWAY 30 A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

See map: Google Maps
A nice multi-use path of smooth-slightly rough asphalt and a few concrete sidewalks. No vehicles, other than park vehicles, are allowed on these paths. Do be alert to cyclists. Not recommended for novice barefooters, intermediate-to advanced. The pavement can be HOT! Excellent for minimalist runners and hikers/trekkers. There are LOTS of things to see from flowers, to birds, to wildlife. If you are truly barefoot stick to the Campbell Lake Nature Trail or the Beach Tram Path. There are water and bathroom facilities at the end of each of these trails. A tram runs down to the beach periodically based on the season (more in summer, less often in winter). The only hazards are the occasional rock, coyote scat, or black bear scat. Just look where you are going. There is a 5k race here in April, so there are mileage markers spray painted along the Campbell Lake Nature Trail.
If you are minimally shod then feel free to check out the other trails. I have personally walked the Salamander Pond Trail, among others, in VFFs and it's fine as long as it has been mown recently and you watch where you step. Please remember that this is Florida and there are venomous snakes, chiggers, fleas, ticks, sand spurs, fire ants, prickly pear, venomous spiders, Africanized honey bees, scorpions, alligators, sting rays, sharks, jellies, etc. These trails are only crowded during the busy summer months and the Campbell Lake Trail is usually less frequented. It is very peaceful early in the morning, or later in the evening, and you might get to see some deer. Presently there is a $6 park entry fee for cars. It may be less for cyclists or runners, but I am not sure so call (850) 267-0299 to find out. I think you may be able to get in for half price an hour before sunset, but again not sure.

I took some liberties with this map to show the main trail. I got it from here: http://www.visitsouthwalton.com/Travel-Brochures . It's "A Guide to Hiking and Biking". Download the PDF if you want to see the rest of the trails.

trailmap.jpg

l_a5015f050d3b9978809ace255db5b24f.jpg
l_765775847e8674641414f8eb7e6b97b0.jpg

Nice review. I wish I lived a bit closer. Looks like you've even got some hills! Great! I especially liked your list of hazzards. I never run where I have to watch out for sting ray, shark or jelly fish up here near Philly!

Just a couple of little hills. My GPS says that it's like a 40' +/- depending on where I go. The area transitions from coastal scrub into dune habitat into beach. The beach is always challenging, and yes you really do have to watch out for that stuff.
Here are some photos of the Campbell Lake Nature Trail:
A small hill
hill1.jpg

Blooming Gulf Coast Lupine
lupine2.jpg

Proceeding along the trail going west
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Restrooms, water fountain, and picnic area at the turn-around
6.jpg

One of the very sophisticated mile markers as mentioned in the review. These are for the 5k.
7.jpg

Campbell Lake, a rare coastal dune lake
8.jpg

9.jpg

I really wasn't kidding about the list of things to be cautious of
10.jpg

Here's the 'gator if you don't believe me
wpid-2012-03-13_18-15-43_778.jpg

And finally the turn-around that sends you back east along the trail
11.jpg

I'll post more photos of the trail head and first mile of the trail some other day. I was being lazy and took a short cut today.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts