Calling all Ball-o-philes

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
I used to think this was another stupid exercise trend. It probably is, but what fun!
Check her out:

Who else plays with their (stability) balls?
What's your fav ball and/or balance exercise? (keep it clean!)

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
This a really good core workout though.

Some of those exercises I do in Pilates (without the ball) & they're tough enough on a stable surface - that's hardcore!
Wish I had the self discipline to do that kind of thing on my own - any exercise involving routines I need someone there telling me what to do, or I won't bother.

Wow, great video for one-stop physio-ball exercises. I already do some of those on the floor and off the bench, but I think at least some of them might be better with the ball. Will give it a try. Thanks.

But man, I'm glad I don't have to listen to that music when I work out.

I tried some of those exercises during my workout today. You're right, they're a lot harder than they look!

Why is it weightlifters always put heavy metal in the background, and aerobics/core people always have disco?

Me, I need some R&B or Reggae. I need to feel the bass.

A good way to transition to them is just to be able to hold the still part of the poses (like when she balances on the ball with one foot in the air and hands on the ground) for as long as possible. I have worked up quite the sweat just trying not to fall off.

I have also incorporated some free weights with basic sitting/leaning on the ball to get free ab workout when I'm doing arms/upper body.

Reactions: Bare Lee
A good way to transition to them is just to be able to hold the still part of the poses (like when she balances on the ball with one foot in the air and hands on the ground) for as long as possible. I have worked up quite the sweat just trying not to fall off.
Thanks for the tip. And yeah, just staying on top of the thing can be a workout in itself!
I have also incorporated some free weights with basic sitting/leaning on the ball to get free ab workout when I'm doing arms/upper body.
I could see that for lighter weights, but at my stage of physioball development, heavier weights could be dangerous. I'm going to try my pull-overs with the physioball today, and the physioball is definitely better for back extensions than on a bench, which tends to dig into the pelvis. Thanks again for posting that video--very complete and well-edited.

Thanks! That's a great ball video!

I could see that for lighter weights, but at my stage of physioball development, heavier weights could be dangerous.
Yeah, in P90X2 they do a lot of of the dumbbell exercises on a ball. It's definitely tricky and completely insane with heavy weights. They use a ball in Body Beast with one of the guys to demonstrate how to do the exercises with with "limited equipment". Even more insane. I'm glad that I have a bench. Here's some of the exercises from P90X2 with the requisite rock music.
P90X2

I could see that for lighter weights, .

I'm a lady, so 15 lb free weights are my max, and I only do a few exercises on the ball with those, easier ones, and if I'm trying a new one I have my husband spot.
Would get awkward/dangerous without a serious spotter using anything seriously heavy, so the applications are limited if your routine uses heavier weights.
Another way that I use the balls at the gym is that in between sets I walk over and do a few ball exercises as my 'break' which keeps my heart rate up while giving the other muscles a chance to get ready for the next set.

I'm a lady, so 15 lb free weights are my max, and I only do a few exercises on the ball with those, easier ones, and if I'm trying a new one I have my husband spot.
Would get awkward/dangerous without a serious spotter using anything seriously heavy, so the applications are limited if your routine uses heavier weights.
Another way that I use the balls at the gym is that in between sets I walk over and do a few ball exercises as my 'break' which keeps my heart rate up while giving the other muscles a chance to get ready for the next set.
Yah, I like to save the floor/mobility/core/lower weight stuff for the second half of my strength training workouts. It comes close to circuit training then, with few or very short breaks. As always, searching for that elusive perfect balance, so to speak, given limited time and energy.