Cadence Candor: "Look ma, no gears!"

Sounds like a plan Lee. Keep it simple, form first then let everything else evolve from there providing the form does not slip. Most everything will fall in place, and remember everyone is different in stature and flexibilty so what works for one might not do as well for another. Most of all keep it light and fun. :)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Lee,

Please, do not tell him to worry about landing. Especially do not tell him to try to actively bring his foot in front of his body. Gravity guarantees we will get to the ground. And when we remain relaxed prior to landing we will be most minimally ahead of or cog.

Lee, I'm just trying to work with my daughter on form right now too. She has really bad bunions on both feet so has never been a runner before but she is wanting to start now in preparation for softball and basketball this next school year. She surprised me yesterday by running an 11 min 9 sec mile yesterday. It was supposed to be my real easy day for me but she made me have to push at a 10-10:15 pace for the first half mile, then we turned around and she struggled a little going uphill and she was doing close to a 12 min pace, although she did a nice sprint to finish off the run. Anyhow, she naturally has a higher cadence than I would have expected and naturally lands slightly in front of her center of gravity. The problem she has is landing on her heels, although when I got her trying to listen to how loud she was landing she adjusted her stride and was landing more midfoot and was much much much quieter.

On the topic of landing slightly infront of cog. When you guys (nick, lee) use this description, what distance or focal point are you referring to for establishing a successful landing. Imo I want to land as close to directly under my cog, never trying to get it infront purposefully. Unless I am reading your comments wrong. It seems as though you are actively trying to land forward of your body??

I personally am not actively trying and my daughter was not actively trying. It's just ever so slightly in front of the body, but the knees are still bent and the foot is landing maybe slightly behind the knee when you look at it as a perfectly vertical line from the knee down to the ground. Not sure if that makes sense or not. I know what I am trying to say. :D

Yah, like Nick says, it's not a conscious effort, just ever so slightly in front (maybe an inch or two, hard to tell), as it must be if one has forward momentum. I think several non-Pose people have said that it's impossible to land directly under your center of mass unless you're at a standstill. You would fall forward. That's seems correct and is what I'm going on when evaluating my own form. I look down and I see the forefoot touch just before it disappears underneath me. I also look at storefront windows, and my form looks pretty much as it does on form analysis videos. Please let's not get into another discussion about the merits of the Pose method :eek: .

Nick, let me know how the coaching goes. I like your idea of using sound to coach good landing. My nephew is huge, maybe 6'5" at 16 years old, but he's a real coach potato--mostly video/texting/watching sports--so he's not very athletic, and has poor posture because he has to stoop to talk to everyone. So I will mostly be working on foot landing and posture, which I've become convinced are the big key cues anyway, based on a sample of one and the stuff I've read.

It's difficult to say what is the appropriate "foot-in-front-of-the-COG" location is because it varies based on pace. The faster you run, the farther your foot is going to touch the ground from your COG.
Sure, stride length is a factor of landing and extension, so appropriate landing is relative to speed, but it definitely has to be in front, and the slower one goes, the closer it gets to c-o-m. Even when you look at Usain Bolt in slow motion, it's really not that far out in front, and he's going faster than anyone else's max pace, so I don't think details really matter than much.
Have you found this to be true in your coaching practice?

Yah, like Nick says, it's not a conscious effort, just ever so slightly in front (maybe an inch or two, hard to tell), as it must be if one has forward momentum. I think several non-Pose people have said that it's impossible to land directly under your center of mass unless you're at a standstill. You would fall forward. That's seems correct and is what I'm going on when evaluating my own form. I look down and I see the forefoot touch just before it disappears underneath me. I also look at storefront windows, and my form looks pretty much as it does on form analysis videos. Please let's not get into another discussion about the merits of the Pose method :eek: .

Nick, let me know how the coaching goes. I like your idea of using sound to coach good landing. My nephew is huge, maybe 6'5" at 16 years old, but he's a real coach potato--mostly video/texting/watching sports--so he's not very athletic, and has poor posture because he has to stoop to talk to everyone. So I will mostly be working on foot landing and posture, which I've become convinced are the big key cues anyway, based on a sample of one and the stuff I've read.
I will let you know Lee how it goes. My daughter is kind of a couch potato too because her mom has never let her do sports or anything until last year. She lives with her mom most of the year so... I'm just trying to tweak little things for her right now because she is a kid and doesn't seem to pay attention when I try to get her to do too much, maybe it just overwhelms her when I try to get her to do too much.

Lee,

So, you do or don't think it is necessary to tell someone to land ahead of his/her body? I say it could be detrimental and is unnecessary. It would be like telling someone to breath. As long as they are alive they will be breathing.
Sorry I should've been clearer: I think it's bad to land too far out in front, i.e., to over stride. I don't believe it's possible for the foot to land exactly under or behind the center of mass without falling forward, if there's forward momentum, based on my poor understanding of physics.

Do you two always argue? I sometimes think you two are much closer than you think and maybe it's just the wording that is causing the issues... Either that or maybe it was some prior argument that I missed and now you two just take any chance to try to get under the others skin...;)

Reactions: Bare Lee
I will let you know Lee how it goes. My daughter is kind of a couch potato too because her mom has never let her do sports or anything until last year. She lives with her mom most of the year so... I'm just trying to tweak little things for her right now because she is a kid and doesn't seem to pay attention when I try to get her to do too much, maybe it just overwhelms her when I try to get her to do too much.
Yah, that's partly why I'm thinking of reducing it to just two factors/cues: foot landing and posture. Good luck! Look forward to hearing back from you. Also, I've noticed sometimes teenagers act really nonchalant but actually are listening, they just can't show it or they'll look uncool.

Do you two always argue? I sometimes think you two are much closer than you think and maybe it's just the wording that is causing the issues... Either that or maybe it was some prior argument that I missed and now you two just take any chance to try to get under the others skin...;)
I dunno, didn't you and B&A go on for a bit about sports cars and trucks? I think part of the problem is that B&A is/was an elite runner and is dedicated to a very specific running philosophy, whereas you and I are recreational runners here to share experiences and see what works for others, without necessarily making judgments, because we simply don't have the knowledge or experience. I think some of the misunderstanding though is style of communication and the fact that all this is written pretty hastily, without all the necessary clarifications and qualifications. Still, it seems like you and others have been understanding what I've been trying to say, right?

Well, there was the disagreement about the role of gravity, on BG's epic thread about stride length. That ended in a stalemate but without any hard feelings as far as I can tell. And I know B&A wants me to send him a video so he can tell me I'm not running Pose style, but other than that I don't think there's anything going on. Jason also likes giving him trouble. He reminds me of one of those friends you like to hang out with but can't resisting giving sh*t to about stuff. I dunno.

I agree with Nick, it sounds like both you guys are kind of talking about the same thing but have different terminology. The end results is a a midfoot (or forefoot) landing. The younger starters seem to take to this much faster and naturally then we do. I started my 15 year old in vff's and she just naturally adjusted herself with only being verbally told what was deemed to proper landing right from the get go.

Lee and Nick, you're just going to have to learn to ignore Agel he has always being a pain in the ass that's why he got kicked ou from the other site-TWICE!

Reactions: Lomad and Bare Lee
I agree with Nick, it sounds like both you guys are kind of talking about the same thing but have different terminology. The end results is a a midfoot (or forefoot) landing. The younger starters seem to take to this much faster and naturally then we do. I started my 15 year old in vff's and she just naturally adjusted herself with only being verbally told what was deemed to proper landing right from the get go.
I think semantics is part of it, but the Pose style also makes different assumptions about what's involved. They think the foot should land exactly under the center of gravity, and then one leans forward so that gravity will pull them forward and establish forward momentum. So B&A was probably concerned about the foot being too far forward, since having the foot at all forward is a big no-no. Most of the stuff I've read doesn't subscribe to this view, and I've sided with this stuff, based on my limited knowledge and experience. But I don't generally tune in here for arguments. Once it's clear that opinions are at variance and will continue to be so, I prefer to move on.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7