Bwahaha...husband is going minimalist!

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
My husband has not shown ANY interest in ditching his running shoes, and honestly I don't blame him. He's one of these runners who makes me sick...uh, I mean whom I greatly admire ;) ...who never gets injured because he has a naturally gentle running style. (And he's fast too!) He's been running on and off for 25 years or so and literally has never had a running injury except shin splints, which he quickly got rid of. So for him, taking time to transition to being barefoot probably wouldn't be worth it, especially as the concept doesn't appeal to him.

He's used the Asics GT line for years. But they've started giving him blisters, and he needs to exchange the pair he just bought. We've talked a lot about my barefoot/minimalist journey, and with his fantastic running form, I think he might find a lot of freedom in a lighter pair of shoes without a big, thick heel.

So he's going with the Saucony Grid Type A4. They aren't nearly as minimalist as VFFs but appear to be far more minimalist than a Nike Free. (Probably more along the line of the New Balance Minimus.) The reviews we read on Run Blogger & Birthday Shoes were really positive. For someone who wants to stay in a cushioned shoe but wants one that's more flexible and light, I think it's probably a really good option. I'm crossing my fingers that he likes them!

I'm thrilled because I really didn't think he'd come around to barefoot or minimalist running. And I think it's WONDERFUL that there are options out there that are more minimalist than traditional running shoes, but less minimalist than VFFs. I'm not going to get him into VFFs (or even the new Merrells) any time soon, but if an "in between" shoe like this Saucony can get him out of shoes that have far too much cushion/structure, that's a very good thing.

I'm also glad I haven't been giving him lots of pressure to go the minimalist route. I've talked about it as something that's been good for ME, and eventually he was able to make the decision on his own.

That's wonderful, Beth. 

That's wonderful, Beth. Maybe in a few months, he'll be like, "I'd like to try some huaraches." Hee.

That is awesome Beth! Just

That is awesome Beth! Just one thing tho(sorry). DO you think he'll be more interested in the Mizuno Wave Universe? the shoe is more minimal than the Saucony. Back in my shoe days I used to ran in the same Saucony as your husband's and they do have more heel than the universe. My husband just started to run in the Universe and I can tell you that the heel drop is almost non-existent. Regardless, is great that your husband is moving away from boat anchors.

I'll check into it, Dama, and

I'll check into it, Dama, and will ask him to also. We ordered the Sauconys but Road Runner Sports won't have them in stock until 3/18 so we'd have time to change if he wants to.

He went with Saucony because he has some of their trail running shoes and loves them. He figured even though these are more minimalist that he'd like how they fit. He's actually concerned their heel drop may not be enough because he's so used to a thick heel! So honestly I doubt he'll want to go more minimalist. But...the Mizunos might be good for his next pair of shoes. :)

Thanks!

And TJ--Sadly I don't think he'll EVER wear huaraches. That's something I'd like to see! :)

Edited to add--WOW, I'm looking at the Mizunos online and they are SUPER light! As in, lighter than Vibrams! Awesome. However, they don't have his size. (Since we're exchanging, we're sticking with Road Runner.) And geez, even with my VIP membership there they are still $108. But I'll have to keep them in mind for the future. Thanks, Dama.

thats great news.. wish I

thats great news.. wish I thought barefoot would be a good thing for my hubby, but honestly- they don't make a shoe that is right for him and he needs some protection... he is severely bowlegged (long story) and wears out the sides of his shoes sorta- he walks on the edge of the sole.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7