BRS Oregon represents at the 2011 "race for the animals"

Perhaps someone else will write a formal race report, but there were some real barefoot accomplishments at the 2011 Race for the Animals, a local event in Portland's Forest Park.

First of all there were 5 of us (joshh, me, SuzanneS, paraganek, migangelo) running BF on a rather difficult surface, especially the beginning and end on Lower Macleay Trail, which was hard mud packed with jagged rocks. Joshh actually WON the 5k. Unbelievable given the surface! And SuzanneS, who has only been running BF since early in this year, completed the difficult 10K completely unphased.

We got a bit of respect in the local newspaper's running blog this morning. Joe Dudman, the blogger, and a fixture at Portland area road races, didn't mention any names but recognized that the course was not an easy one. Progress!

don't forget Joshh's

don't forget Joshh's daughter, Jasmine, also did the 5k bf and rocked it. she said some older guy try to race her to the finish and she smoked him.

as for me, i knew i would have a hard time on the trail just before the finish line and i did. two girls that i passed downhill after they passed me going uphill, passed me on the last part. i had to walk a few steps and they flew right by me. it was so rocky i slowed my pace too much to catch them. i did get passed by a girl right before the finish, only to pass her because she winded herself while i casually cruised along.

lets see if paraganek gives a race report since he took a few good photos and took 18th in the 10 at 55 mins.

Mike

Congrats, all!

Congrats, all!

migangelo wrote:don't forget

migangelo said:
don't forget Joshh's daughter, Jasmine.. as for me, i knew i would have a hard time on the trail just before the finish line and i did. two girls that i passed downhill after they passed me going uphill, passed me on the last part. i had to walk a few steps and they flew right by me. it was so rocky i slowed my pace too much to catch them. i did get passed by a girl right before the finish, only to pass her because she winded herself while i casually cruised along.

oh that's right, Jasmine makes 6!

I had the same experience on that final mile or so downhill. Earlier I had been passing many people on the smooth downhills, since I think I can step softer and faster and I don't hurt myself on inclines. But once we got on the nasty rocky part and I had to really tenderfoot it those people passed me again.

It'd be great to have a video of joshh or paraganek on some of those surfaces, and see how they do it fast.

Stomper, much obliged for the

Stomper, much obliged for the compliment but I felt like I kooked it with the nickel sized chip I took out of my foot. Paraganek remains the master of the lightning downhill shuffle. What a great time though, especially hanging out afterwards on the grass while that unfamiliar heat came out of the sky. Great to see everyone and I hope that any Oregon Chapter lurkers reading this will be inspired to join us soon for more good times!

Great report Dan!I tried to

Great report Dan!

I tried to leave a comment but it sent me to blogger.com to sign up for an account. Oh well. Great work though, pictures, text and diagrams. I FB'd it. :)

Great report, that's why I

Great report, that's why I like trail running, great surfaces to run on and always a challenge because they are never the same.

that was a nice report. damn

that was a nice report. damn you. makes me want to sign up for the race in two weeks on the same course. hmm.

Mike

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts