bottoms of feet are on FIRE

Starsky

Hello Docs-

The bottoms of my feet are on fire and itch like crazy. I do not have an peeling per se, but the heat and irritation are constant. I had been going barefoot everywhere and then last week used my V5F for a 15 mile in Lake Geneva. the shoes got a bit wet during the run and I am wondering if I have developed some type of athletes foot. I have been using an over the counter spray but the pain and itching are not going away. Any suggestions?

new skin and increased blood

new skin and increased blood flow. i was uncomfortable for about three days after running bf 3 days in a row. wear shoes a few days and it'll pass. bright side is your feet will be warmer come the colder weather.

Mike

You guys, I'm reading this

You guys, I'm reading this different. Starsky is talking about getting the burning and itch AFTER wearing VFFs, not from running barefoot. Correct me if I am wrong, Starsky. Otherwise, what the guys are saying applies to many new barefoot runners as we think the feet start to develop new capillaries, which brings new blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the feet where foot coffins prevented them from receiving before, which causes them to itch. Docs?

Starsky, Wheres

Starsky,

Where’s Hutch? I loved that show.

I think what you are describing is unknown in the medical literature and might be now referred to as “Shoe Rejection Syndrome”. You have been barefoot and no that winter is here your skin that is used to breathing is not liking the lack of breathability and moisture trapping of a shoe. I’m experiencing the same thing. Today wore shoes at the start of my run since it was cold, but a half hour in really had the urge to take them off. It was still cold but feet had vasodilated enough to keep warm.

Solution…keep barefoot as much as you can even in the winter. Stay barefoot at home. Very thin sock to keep feet dry in day.

Mark

Thanks for the feedback.  As

Thanks for the feedback. As the week has progressed, the pain/itching has gone away. I had been barefoot for all of my runs with the exception of the 15 mile Lake Geneva run. I think perhaps having my feet in the wet V5Fs must have just bothered my feet. Not to be gross, but there was all kinds of duck/goose droppings ALL OVER the place, so the mixture of moisture in my V5Fs and what I was undoubtedly stepping in could have also been an irritation. Anyway, thanks for brainstorming.

ya, it appears i don't read

ya, it appears i don't read so good all the time.

Mike