BORN TO RUN Debate: Author vs. Podiatrist

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
BORN TO RUN Debate: Author vs. Podiatrist
Published on Jul 27, 2012

A podiatrist, urban caveman, professor of evolutionary biology, world record setting masters runner, and author Chris McDougall weigh in on BORN TO RUN and the barefoot running debate.

The podiatrist has it so wrong. He thinks we should carry our walking gait to our running gait, that it should not change, that we should run heel-to-toe! Argh! Shoes with wedged heels tend to make us run heel-to-toe, but God didn't create us with wedged-shoes on our feet. How can they get it so wrong?! sigh.

It's a sad reality many dr's don't realize shoes are why we have bad feet. They know if you support a limb and restrict it's movement that the joints weaken and the muscles atrophy. On the other hand they believe we need supportive shoes. I don't get the disconnect.

To be fair, please check out the podiatrist's comment at 5:50 into the video. He talks about how he is beginning to change his mind about barefoot running--about how he has gone from thinking it was crazy and wrong, to giving it more serious consideration.

The video seems more of a commercial for "Born to Run" than a debate, and, I'm not sure that the doctor's comments were fairly represented. I'm not supporting his views necessarily. I just don't think there is enough to go on here to get too upset about.

To be fair, please check out the podiatrist's comment at 5:50 into the video. He talks about how he is beginning to change his mind about barefoot running--about how he has gone from thinking it was crazy and wrong, to giving it more serious consideration.

The video seems more of a commercial for "Born to Run" than a debate, and, I'm not sure that the doctor's comments were fairly represented. I'm not supporting his views necessarily. I just don't think there is enough to go on here to get too upset about.
Not upset, Moose. At this point, trust me, I'm used to it.

I did see his comments shift. But still his message is out there, and it's incorrect. Just sharing it all here.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7