Bikila review

Barefootpuffin

Barefooters
Aug 22, 2011
New blog post where I review the Vibram Five Finger Bikila, and why I don't like them. http://wp.me/p1Bi7O-3S Let me know what you think.

Aaron

Good review.  They were also

Good review. They were also my first pair...even down the the blue and white "Panda Feet" pair, but it was only cause they didn't have the black KSOs in my size.

For me, they lostened up after running in them the 2nd time. That became annoying and I would like to have seen a back strap to snug it up since my right foot is slightly smaller than my left, but both lostened up, so...still a problem for me going up hill or down. The tiles on the bottom fall in a patern that bruises the middle to outside area of the ball of my feet and I agree 100% about the big toe pocket...it's given me blisters too! My wife likes the LS version, but still no back strap and I think the sole is the same. I've only worn mine once since June and that was just in the pool so I wouldn't get pool toe from throwing the kids around! I'm afraid that will be their lot in life from here on...

I love my Kimodosports for working out at the gym, but I think when it gets too cold to go bare, I'll buy a treadmill or pick up a thin sole Merrill to keep the tootsies all huddled together.

-Jonny

Thanks for taking the time to

Thanks for taking the time to read my review. I appreciate it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found these to be a disaster on Vibram's part. Looks like the toe seams were an issue for more than just a few of us. When winter hits, I'll probably just throw on a pair of injinis and my lunas or Puffin Brand huarches. Yeh...I make my own sandals too haha.

Seems like all flavors of

Seems like all flavors of VFFs have toe seam issues, not just the Bikilas though.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Seems like

Barefoot TJ said:
Seems like all flavors of VFFs have toe seam issues, not just the Bikilas though.

I've got KSO's and I've worn classics that don't have seams (at least not irritating ones) in the toe pockets. I think it is just the sewing technique used in the Bikilas.

I've heard people complain of

I've heard people complain of every flavor of VFF having seam issues over the past years, so I really think it's a hit or miss issue that effects all models of VFFs, meaning some pairs are tolerable and some pairs are not. I have had them myself in both the Sprints and the Bikilas.

OK, here's my take on the

OK, here's my take on the Bikila. It's the only shoe I've run in since I quit running a long time ago. I've had mine since last Labor Day, so I just turned my anniversary. I haven't added it up but I guess I've run about 200 or 300 miles in them. As yet they show almost no signs of wear at all.

They have never given me a bit of trouble with fit or seams. I guess I got a good pair, have charmed feet, or just the magic blend of all possible factors. They suit me just fine for when I want to wear anything on my feet at all. That tends to be for races over inhospitable trails or in rotten weather conditions (think ice and snow, mostly.) In those relatively rare situations, I don't actually want to have fine ground feel, thank you, so my Biks' slightly thicker soles don't bother me. In fact, that white area covering the instep could be thicker, in my opinion. I've had Multiflora rose thorns punch through there twice.

The velcro strap is OK, though I'm not 100% convinced it really does anything. The color and aesthetics are OK. I don't spend much time looking at my own feet, and I've been thrilled to see them (rarely) on others' feet.

All in all, my Biks serve me well. Based on my experiences with them, I'd recommend them strongly...just not to a new runner. Minimalist shoes of any kind make learning proper form more diffecult. But that, as they say, is another story.

I didn't know fish wore

I didn't know fish wore shoes.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I didn't

Barefoot TJ said:
I didn't know fish wore shoes.

Must be the super rare mud skipper. I think shoes would help out in that instance.

As far as your take on the Bikila: I respect your take on them, and I think combination of everything you mentioned contributes to your like of the shoe. I just don't believe they are the right shoe for me, and I feel they are a little too much shoe.

As far as the seams are concernced. I think that is a quality control issue. Particularly because it has been seen across the board on all their models. Not only that, but their craftsmanship has been shown to be kind of spotty. Some people get 1,000+ miles out of their shoes, and others have their shoes fall apart the day they get them. I think it's a hit or miss. I've just been lucky with my Bikilas and my KSOs.

As always, the feedback is appreciated guys.

Aaron

I think you were responding

I think you were responding to JT in the paragraph about the Bikila. Because I don't like them or dislike them. Lots of people love them, and lots of people don't. I just hope everyone finds what works for them the best. When it comes to minimalist footwear, I don't bash any of it. I know some people have strong opinions either way about any particular model, but what I've learned is whatever model it is that's in question actually does work well for some while it also doesn't work well for others. We just have to keep trying and experimenting to find out what works best for each of us.

I totally agree about the spotty craftsmanship. I have heard good things and bad things about the VFF shoe making process. It's sorta like you have to actually put your fingers into each of the pockets, along the arches, and at the heel to make sure the pair you're going to buy doesn't have any noticeable seams, and if they do later, then be sure to take them back.

Yah. I was replying to JT in

Yah. I was replying to JT in regards to the Bikila. Was just too lazy/tired to point that out. Yah. I refuse to buy Vibrams unless I can physically put them on and inspect them. Luckily enough, the store I purchase mine at lets me run on a treadmill and a simulated trail in the store. It's pretty schweet.

That is sweet.  They should

That is sweet. They should all do that, if anything, at least the treadmill.

I've got a pair or

I've got a pair or Bikilas that have just about 600 miles on them. So far they have held up well with a few minor issues.

The first is about 200 miles ago one of the seems that is used to attach the velcro to the upper started to rub on both of my feet so now I have to wear socks on runs longer than about 8 or 9 miles or I get some skin worn off on the inside of my foot near the big toe.

The second is probably an issue with how I took care of them (or didnt). The fabric between the toes is starting to get brittle. I've ripped a few holes in the fabric there and have had to patch it with extra material, some thread and fabric glue. I'd bet if I had dried them out better between runs and cleaned the mud off as soon as I was done with a trail run that I wouldnt be having this issue.

The soles are doing fine with only a few of the pods wearing down. The wear shows that I still push off too much but dont heal strike at all. The EVA has broken down fully except on the arch so I can actually feel the ground more now than I could when they were new.

There are of course some downsides to the shoes. My toes get colder than if they were in one pocket. I would prefer to have a heal strap to keep them snugger when running trails. I would also really prefer a bit of a rock plate at the ball of the foot as we have a ton of wicked gravel on the trails here and after a bunch of miles it gets rough down there.