Barefoot Runners Society is now a Registered Trademark!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Barefoot TJ, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    The Barefoot Runners Society is now a registered Trademark! We will be changing our artwork soon to add the circle R symbol to it. The process involved a long wait but overall, it was seamless and pain-free once the right people were engaged. As you all know, trademarking our brand is important and tells the public we are here to stay.

RegisteredTrademark.jpg

2. Longboard Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Time for me to break out the Sharpie!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  3. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    You could probably print a sticker of the symbol, then place the sticker over the signage. Maybe a print company could do this for you on vinyl real cheap.

4. Longboard Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    You don't trust my penmanship?

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  5. Larry Barefooters
    1. Australia

Message Count:
    You might breach the trademark's trademark if you don't use the right font. :)
  6. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    We'll let him slide, this time.

7. karuiashi Guest

Okay, why not.

But what about the use of the brand ? Is it subject to license ? If yes, which ?

I am sorry, I am certainly stupid, but I don't understand the purpose of filing the trademark. I thought BRS is a community not a product.
  8. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    You would think we were a community, and that's the way I STRIVE to keep it. Ask anyone. Can you tell otherwise that the BRS is not a community?

BUT there are some folks out there who don't think of us as a community but a niche market to be profited off of while compromising our values, our purpose, our mission, and all of what WE stand for, and THAT is what I am protecting ALL of us against. I only make decisions that are in YOUR best interest. You must trust me.

The registered trademark is filed with the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office):

We operate as an organization, not a business, but the government could care less which, so the thinking goes:

Time and time again, small business owners get hit with a cease and desist letter from another company they have never heard of -- often located in another state. The out-of-state company demands that the local company change its name or face a federal trademark infringement lawsuit.

Now the small business owner is faced with two very expensive choices-- fight a federal lawsuit or rebrand its products and services after using them for years.

This scenario -- which happens every day -- is easily avoided. By trademarking, businesses can protect their brands and confidently promote their products and services. ~Borghese Legal, Ltd.

NOTE: We do have a product...our tee shirts, stickers, and merchandise, all used to raise funds to operate the BRS...ONLY.

The benefits of having a registered trademark as compared to a common law trademark include:
    • Constructive notice nationwide of the trademark owner's claim.
    • More evidence of the ownership of the trademark.
    • Jurisdiction of federal courts may be invoked.
    • Registration can be used as a basis for obtaining registration in other countries.
    • Registration may be filed with the Customs Service to prevent importation of trademark infringing foreign goods.

mmoore5553 likes this.
  9. karuiashi Guest

Okay, I understand what is the problem and why you have registered BRS as a brand. One more thing, will you change CGU ?
  10. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    What is CGU?

11. karuiashi Guest

Sorry, I think in French :) CGU = Terms and conditions.

Particularly in relation to the use of the brand by forum members on their website.
  12. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Everything will be updated. Thanks! :peeking:

13. karuiashi Guest

Sorry, my question was inappropriate?
  14. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Not at all. :cool: I am here to help however I can.

15. karuiashi Guest

Okay thanks :)