Article: Winter Barefoot Running – Is it for You? By Barefoot Rick Roeber

Great advise, I am trying the slowly decreasing the temperature approach to see how long I can go, I hope to going bare into December at the very least. Will see how it goes.

Rick,

Thank you for this article, I may share it on my FB page...I'm already getting the "nut" comments :). My coldest run to date was clear dry 29 degrees F....and I found my feet quite toasty after 1.5 miles....I'm looking forward to pushing my envelope of experience!

I know that Rick has run the Waco Marathon that takes place in January barefoot. I don't know his longest distance though, and I can't remember the temp on that day, but I remember it was cold.

I'd also like to add what I did last winter here in Michigan, which was to shift to running twice a day: two shorter runs instead one long run. One in the morning first thing (usually the more frigid!) and one after work. My thinking is that Ican run for a half hour in almost any kind of weather. And, if the weather actually permitted and felt good, then I could bump one of those runs up a little.

John

Thanks for the inspiration Rick!

I've been working down into the 40s but today was 32 degrees here...set off running in my KSOs and after about 0.7 mile couldn't stand em anymore so Iripped them off!

I had a very plesant 1 mile run home. Will have to try the warming up and going bare technique more often. It's really fun!

Avoiding those horrible chilly puddles,

_Mary

With some 3/4 mile sprints to work in 5 deg F last spring, I felt I could take on the cold this Fall. I've managed a couple of 3 milers in sub 30 deg F on dry pavement, and they felt great, especially after warming up after the first mile. Today the snow fell, and at 17 deg F, I thought I would have a go. I bundled up, warmed up with some stair work inside, and headed out for a quick mile. Running in the snow is definitely colder than in dry conditions, but I could feel my feet warm up toward the end of the run. I debated another circuit, but I'm glad I didn't. The sting in the luke warm shower told me that my feet had had enough for the day. A continuing tingle tells me to give it a day or two before trying it again, but I'm definitely gonna try it again (thanks for the hopeful article).

IMGP0983.JPG

It sounds like you may have jumped in the shower too soon too. I've done that before, and it can be quite painful. You might want to wait until your body reacclimates to the temperature inside your home before jumping in the shower.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7