Any Grounding Experience?

I'm sorry I started this thread. Never mind.

Don't be`sorry...keep posting what you find ...it might do something for you even with no scientific basis. I have grounding straps from work which I wore for several hours a day for about 4 years...it never occurred to me at the time that it did anything but keep some electronic components from being damaged by static. I'm thinking you are probably not hard grounded since most setups like that have a resistor built in to keep you from getting shocked accidentally so a perfect hard ground may not matter at all. Its not as easy as you would think to get a really good ground on your skin...most of us where I worked had to use special lotion to get a decent ground. I think if there is any benefit from sleeping semi grounded it would take a long time see to a difference at least months...everyone is being semi grounded somewhat throughout the day anyway so really your just extending what we are already do to your bed.

oohhh....another grounding thread :eek: hahahahaha j/k
I have quite a bit of grounding experience but it was mostly when I was younger....and usually barefoot....
....wait....are we talking about the same thing o_O

It seems to me, that in the grounding question there are often two different concepts being mixed up - and I'm not sure I always get them right myself! :D
1) being barefoot skin to ground is one thing with a possible contact with negatively charged ions
But this is not the same phenomenon as
2) being wired to the ground with metal straps or things like that.
I mean, with all the metal stuff it's not floating ions any more that do the supposed neutralizing, but electrons within the metal which carry an electric charge.
This latter is good to avoid shocks from static electricity but probably wouldn't do anything to combat free radicals inside the body.

That said, I'm taking you up on the challenge that you made to one of the commenters on your blog: my wife and I will be doing a blind test where one of us will connect/disconnect the ground cord when we're sleeping, without telling the other when it's happened, and the other will keep a (admittedly subjective) record of whether or not we feel any different. We'll compare notes after a period of time, probably a month. We're going to do it with the ground attached first to the receptacle ground, then to an independent ground rod completely unattached to the electrical system in our house.

So, it's been 2 months. Any results?

Feel free to mock, but I have been sleeping on a grounded sheet for about 2 months now and the difference it has made has been very significant. I have slept extremely badly for some years, putting it down to a combination of hormones, stress and a snoring husband. In particular I could lie for hours too tense to let go and sleep, and I would routinely wake in the night bathed in sweat to the point that my pyjamas were wet through. Since the first night with the grounded sheet, that hasn't happened. As soon as i lie down, I feel relaxed and not 'wired' and fall asleep easily. I still wake up a couple of times in the night but just turn over and drift off again. No night sweats. No hamster-wheel thoughts going round and round. I wondered about doing a blind test, but frankly if it is a placebo effect, I don't want to mess with it!

As for not needing to buy a sheet or whatever, that might be fine if I could spend hours outside barefoot but I can't. The hours I spend in bed are obvious candidates, and given I was really hoping it would improve my sleep, I'm very happy I tried it.

First I got hooked by this thread on the subject.
Secondly I bought (and read!!) a book on the subject (the one written by Ober, Sinatra and Zucker). This convinced me of the reality of grounding beyond placebo effect - they did quite a couple of double blind studies which proved for example that there is a measurable effect on blood cells with grounding.
Thirdly I bought a grounding sheet for the night and a grounding pad which I use under my feet during computer work.
And just as Spinningwoman I'm very happy with these products: not only my sleep is better, but my feet recover much more quickly than ever before: after a run on sharp gravel I used to need minimum two days of recovery; with the grounding pad one day is now sufficient for healing.
I don't think that spending more hours running outside instead would have the same effect: when the feet are bruised and inflamed after too much rough running outside, the pad provides a wonderfully smooth surface to rest and let the inflammation heal. A couple of hours just sitting on a beach or a soft lawn to rest the feet would probably be similar in smoothness and healing effect, but most of the time that's limited to holidays and nice weather.

spinningwoman,

how can i make fun of you if say to go ahead and do it? if you would've said don't make fun of me that would've been great. thanks for taking my fun away. jeez.

... frankly if it is a placebo effect, I don't want to mess with it!

I'm certainly still sceptical about the grounding thing, but this I agree with completely - if it's working, and has no harmful side effects, then is the how & why that important? (Obviously that logic only applies to individuals, I'm not suggesting drug companies adopt it.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that one of the major free radicals is O2-. Adding the free electrons from the earth will definitely not neutralize it! Maybe the hydroxyl radical, •HO, which is neutral, could be converted to the safer HO-, but I've not seen any chemistry that says that that will happen in an aqueous solution (i.e., blood or inside a cell) with a few free electrons floating around. Is anybody more aware of the chemistry involved?
Free radicals are highly reactive due to unpaired valence electrons. As you indicated, it's neutral. As such, it doesn't have an affinity for free electrons. It would rather react as per below.
800px-Mechanism_of_OH_with_benzene.png

I do know that, for instance, with dissolved salt, NaCl, the sodium ion, Na+ doesn't just precipitate out as metallic sodium just because there happens to be a free electron floating around (or we'd die pretty spectacularly upon touching the negative side of a Van de Graaf generator).
Absolutely, the reaction is highly favorable to the right. Hence, why the sodium stays dissolved, and Bill Nye doesn't explode.
ee9.jpg

So, I got the book mentioned above and read several earthing/grounding websites.

The human body is not particularly permeable to electrons, and extensive consideration is taken when performing biopotential measurements. This is why abrasives and gels are used to improve conductance.
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tech_docs/ECG-EEG-EMG_FINAL.pdf

Bill Nye is able to touch a Van de Graff generator, as the charges stay on the surface of his body. Like charges repel, and the electrons are trying to get away from each other. This is why his wig stands on end, as the electrons are trying to get far away from one another, rather than trying to enter his body.

Internally, the body is electronically compartmentalized all the way down to the intracellular level. This includes neurons, the heart, and the mitochondrial electron transport chain. Allowing electrons to flow around willy-nilly would wreak havoc.
http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_276394_en.pdf

Yes, many people sleep better with expensive sheets, whether or not they are grounded.

I couldn't get on with any of the 'scientific' type explanation stuff in the book - it sounded like nonsense to me - but that doesn't necessarily invalidate the experience. Like if someone tells me that a decoction of willow bark will fix my headache because willow spirits have a cooling effect on the brain when the bark is stripped by the light of a full moon, it wouldn't stop the salicylic acid from working. My husband's sleep pattern has also completely changed and he had forgotten all about the sheet until I mentioned it - it doesn't show as it only covers the bottom half of the bed. And he certainly hasn't been swayed by any desire to believe - he thinks it is nonsense!

Stating the following would be more honest, "These sheets are expensive. Some people report that they sleep better and have better health. We can't really say why. Nor will we even attempt to hint that they will work for you."

In fact, the very expensive sheets at Macy's don't make any health claims, and still people buy them and love them. People sleep better, and they feel healthier. All without inaccurate scientific claims.

Grounding has comparable scientific rigor to homeopathy, not willow bark. All three interventions can provide comfort, yet only one has reproducible scientific research backing it.

I'm certainly still sceptical about the grounding thing, but this I agree with completely - if it's working, and has no harmful side effects, then is the how & why that important? (Obviously that logic only applies to individuals, I'm not suggesting drug companies adopt it.)
Psst... don't tell anyone. Longboard is selling a procedure that will shave 10% from your PR. Don't worry, he's not associated with a drug company. He's a doctor, too, so you can absolutely trust him.
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/index.php?posts/141469

Reactions: Longboard

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7