An hour and a half in the pool before a run...good, bad, neither?? Also, cut away old blisters or le

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
I'm of the mind, it's generally easier to get forgiveness than permission! So, needless to say, this is what I did today! LOL! I played with the kids in the local pool till about 8:30(hour and a half or so), put them to bed and headed out the door at about 10:30 for a run. It was late and I was tired, but I'm running 5K with my wife on Wed and a 5k race on Sat, so it was my only time to get a long run in. I was going for 5 miles, but the voices urged me on and I turned my 5k rout twice for a new longest run and longest BFR of 6.2 miles. My feet were pretty tender by the end and I was sure I was blistered to hell, but maybe the 2hrs let my feet harden back up? IDK.

The old blister below the ball of my big toe closer to the arch pulled away more and where I cut away the big blisters on the outside of my feet felt a little tender, the balls of my feet a little tender as I removed the old blister skin there too and my big toes wouldn't quit gripping, or at least I thought...had to keep reminding them over and over, but no new blisters noted at all. All in all, a good run, I was loose even when I got tired, feet no worse for wear and that's 18.8 barefoot miles down, a life time to go!!

Tell me what y'all think? Is this up there with running in the rain due to the feet soaking softening them up and my form is really improving, or do they get too much time to dry back out? Also, do you leave old blister skin once it's just loose and white, or let it wear off on it's own?

Thanks, y'all!

-Jonny

I'd think that even

I'd think that even after letting skin soak like a raisin for 1.5 hours, waiting for 2 hours before beginning to run should take care of giving it plenty of time to dry up. It's certainly possible that it still might have had some role to play behind some of the tenderness.

I leave the blister skin so long as most of it is attached. I just trim off loose pieces and use the rest as padding until it wears off.

Phil Hart wrote:I'd think

Phil Hart said:
I'd think that even after letting skin soak like a raisin for 1.5 hours, waiting for 2 hours before beginning to run should take care of giving it plenty of time to dry up. It's certainly possible that it still might have had some role to play behind some of the tenderness.

I leave the blister skin so long as most of it is attached. I just trim off loose pieces and use the rest as padding until it wears off.

Thanks, Phil! I did notice that the edges of the blisters that I didn't fully trim off have lovely road dirt packed in them! Thaaaaaaat's fun! I'll do my best not to get any more, but if I do, I'll leave them till they come loose at one of the edges...don't want a partially open one inviting in a bunch of crap from the road.

After my shower, I lotioned them up really good with Vaseline IC Recovery...that's good stuff! They feel about 85-90% this morning! Feet...just amazing what they can handle!

-Jonny

Since you're new to this, I

Since you're new to this, I wouldn't run after just getting out of the pool.

I would trim blisters away if they are not too deep. Trimming away shallow blisters will help prevent the skin from ripping. Trimming away deep blisters will take longer for you to get over the pain/sensitivity due to the new skin below.

I cannot comment on the pool

I cannot comment on the pool situation because I have no experience with that.

But I can say that I trim away old blisters when they are like skin flaps and are really tough and dried out. I try to let the blisters heal as much as possible before I remove any skin.

Yeah, I think I was a little

Yeah, I think I was a little exuberant with the blister trimming. I should have left them a while longer. Then again, perhaps the sensitivity helped refine my form some. All I know is a sharp little rock found dead center of the new skin on my right foot around mile 4 and THAT woke me up! I'll leave them next time.

-Jonny

Been reading so much lately

Been reading so much lately about blisters I have been seriously avoiding them like the plague... successfully. Then today just walking around the yard and patio getting ready for a party and I get a nice one right on the tip of my second toe. Just wonder what the heck I was doing. Don't you hate having random things pop up like that?

John T.

Yeah, right when I started

Yeah, right when I started running barefoot style, I kicked a chair in the dark with my toes up and bruised the ball of my foot between the 3rd and 4th toe...I feel ya!! A few weeks later, my foot popped while on the treadmill and it felt better...guess I did more than just bruise it! All good after that though.

-Jonny

Could the ground/deck been

Could the ground/deck been too hot, John, and that's what caused the blisters?

Ha, Jonny! That's so funny about the pop and feeling better.

Thought about that and

Thought about that and dismissed it since I wasn't sure heat could do that... well, sunburns for sure, but I never felt a burn and it just kinda showed up in that one place and nowhere else (strange). But getting back to what you asked... yes, the deck and the artificial turf were blazing in spots and I did the tap dancing frog in the hot skillet thing until I could get to cool shaded areas. The blister, and that odd feeling of it (I hate that feeling) made me kinda walk funny, but I hardly notice it this morning. Just going to wait until it gets old and leathery before trimming as suggested, or maybe I'll let the road wear it away. :)

John T.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon