always go up

migangelo

Chapter Presidents
Jun 5, 2010
portland, or
when you run with joshh, that's the words that come out of his mouth. as we tried some new trails the other day we came to a fork. we looked at each other and asked which way the other wanted to go. joshh said " you know my answer". damn. he always wants to go uphill, never down. when you see him run it you can understand why. he runs uphill better than most can go on flat land.

on todays run i took a trail that a few of us in the Oregon chapter will be running next saturday. i struggled uphill like normal. i was then followed and questioned by a shoddie. i need to make and bring some business cards. so after talking to him he went down the trail, the direction the race will take. i decided not to follow and answer more questions. i wanted to run. so at the fork in the road i look across and up. i ask my dog Mury which way should we go. of course he ignores me so he can sniff the bushes. i say alright come on we are going up.

man that was fun. once i was good and warmed up i handled that hill pretty well. then came down. it was steeper than i thought. no problem for me but i let gravity take over and i was nearly sprinting downhill for most of the rest of my run. i went a little too far and too fast. my feet hurt and so do my quads. i have been reading BF Ken Bob's book and tried bending my knees more. kinda good but was a bit more work than i'm used to. hey, if it'll make running easier than i'm all for it.

so to take joshh's advie from now on. if there's a choice, go up the trail.

oh yeah. that shoddie asked me how long did it take to toughen my soles. i laughed and told him i'm still doing it. he laughed too.

Mike

I love going uphills...and

I love going uphills...and down too! I get a high when I reach the top of a difficult or long hill. I feel like I conquered that beeatch! I think the stronger we get, the easier it gets too; therefore we enjoy it more. I also think that most of it's in the mind. You have to want to do it to enjoy it.

I've noticed that I don't

I've noticed that I don't notice the slight up hills like I use to. My wife said the course we raced yesterday was more hilly than she thought it was, but I could only remember one slight up hill, which she said was the steepest one. Must have something to do with not pushing off...still lifting the feet up hill, just more lean at the hips, ESPECIALLY when you're running on chip seal!(I felt like a tap dancing frog on a hot skillet!!) I'm going to the field by my house this week for some slight up and down hill training and also start running my alt 5K rout, which has almost no flat spots on it! Couple of sneaky sharp rocks bruised me a little yesterday, so...may be Tuesday before I make it up there.

I will, however, take the good advice and choose up hill, from now on! I'm not in this for the "easy"!

I love this site! All sorts of good ideas floating around!

-Jonny

Thanks for the visual! 

Thanks for the visual! Hysterical!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon