Altria Lone Peaks 1.5

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
Bought a pair of clown shoes yesterday. They came with red and black laces thanks goodness. I'll add more once I go for a run tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 27
I wonder if they scare away animals on the trail or attract them. Those are bright.

I haven't been able to check them out yet. What I was hoping for was a lighter weight and a little more flexibility in the newer model. The color isn't a deal breaker, I can just get dirt on them.

Some quick first impressions... they are a serious trail shoe. They have a stiff, thick sole, with very little toe spring. At first I thought they were going to be hot with the new webbed fabric, but they are surprisingly breathable. They are pretty comfortable overall, and not restricting. They are shaped differently than the Superiors, but they almost seem to hold your foot in place better? They have arch support it seems minor but I noticed it and am considering mods to eliminate it. The grip on rocky, sandy surfaces is not as reliable as the Superior either.

Overall I am pretty happy with them so far. Its fun to be able to really bomb downhills and be able to step anywhere. I thought the superiors gave me that but there is a definite difference between groundfeel. The Lone Peaks have none.

I wonder if they scare away animals on the trail or attract them. Those are bright.

I haven't been able to check them out yet. What I was hoping for was a lighter weight and a little more flexibility in the newer model. The color isn't a deal breaker, I can just get dirt on them.

I suspect I will attract a few bees, the red laces were hilarious. I think someone called them out for their looks at the last minute and Altra deicided to add black laces to help with the backlash. It could be why they came out late...

Weight wise they are almost identical to the Superior, they are not flexible though. I think they are the opposite of what you are looking for. They are a big improvement from the original lone peaks fit wise though.

My opinion lately is that if you have to wear a shoe, go big. (Sorry fellow BRS's, my goals of being barefoot or minimal as much as possible have been put on hold for awhile). With two weeks before the Grand Canyon, I still haven't settled on footwear 100%. At this point it will be my old Lone Peaks and Sandals when I need to switch things up. My superiors are just not going to work for that distance. I've tried hard to like them, but I think they are going to be another hand-me-down to my son. My last hike I put 17 miles in them and had a bout of TOFP and a little ball soreness (rock plate and footbeds were out). I switched back to the Lone Peaks and had no problems.

Reactions: Abide
That is a good way of looking at it. I have pretty much given up running barefoot and also trying to find the perfect "minimalist" shoe. Now I just try to find something that is comfortable for me for long distances that won't hinder my runs.

My feet would start to get sore in the Superiors after about 25 miles too. It was kind of a dull sore that didn't last beyond the day of the race but was uncomfortable during the run. I'm hoping these will be like your old lone peaks for you.

Some quick first impressions... they are a serious trail shoe. They have a stiff, thick sole, with very little toe spring. At first I thought they were going to be hot with the new webbed fabric, but they are surprisingly breathable. They are pretty comfortable overall, and not restricting. They are shaped differently than the Superiors, but they almost seem to hold your foot in place better? They have arch support it seems minor but I noticed it and am considering mods to eliminate it. The grip on rocky, sandy surfaces is not as reliable as the Superior either.

Overall I am pretty happy with them so far. Its fun to be able to really bomb downhills and be able to step anywhere. I thought the superiors gave me that but there is a definite difference between groundfeel. The Lone Peaks have none.

I have the original Lone Peaks and they fit excellent for my foot shape...they are very heavy at 12 oz. size 11.5. At around 80 miles they started breaking in and became much more flexible in the front half of the shoe. I only use these for the most rugged trails when I want to run fast...they are bulldozers for sure. How much do your 1.5's weight/size ?

I think they are 10 ozs for an US 11.5. They are a little smaller in the front than the superiors, but slightly wider than the original lone peaks.

The heel cup is much wider in these vs. the superior as well.

The red is bright but at least is only one bright color compared to the ladies version of bright green and orange. Perhaps a coating of mud is in order. I'm glad I got a backup pair of the original style.

A few comments about mine. I went into my local running store for new insoles and they didn't have any that would work. I tried the new Lone Peaks on and they felt great. I did end up getting 1 size larger then my old ones and that made a big difference on the comfort. Plenty of room now and I didn't get any toe rub on the tops of my toes. I like the new material. Even one size larger they seem lighter although still very heavy. Out of the box, I did 35 miles of my Grand Canyon hike in them and just got one hot spot on the inside edge of my foot. Completed the last 10 miles of the hike in sandals not because of discomfort, but the shoes were able to preserve my feet for that long and I felt like I didn't need added protection for the uphill. For shorter trail runs I would wear something different, but those shoes were perfect for this job.

Color doesn't matter. Nobody looks at your footwear when you are shod. Only one runner noticed that they were the new Altra Lone Peaks.

Abide, what do you think about the "tail rudders". I think they just kick rocks and dust up into my ankles. I don't bomb downhills, so in my case they might be unnecessary. I wanted your opinion before I take a knife to them.

A few comments about mine. I went into my local running store for new insoles and they didn't have any that would work. I tried the new Lone Peaks on and they felt great. I did end up getting 1 size larger then my old ones and that made a big difference on the comfort. Plenty of room now and I didn't get any toe rub on the tops of my toes. I like the new material. Even one size larger they seem lighter although still very heavy. Out of the box, I did 35 miles of my Grand Canyon hike in them and just got one hot spot on the inside edge of my foot. Completed the last 10 miles of the hike in sandals not because of discomfort, but the shoes were able to preserve my feet for that long and I felt like I didn't need added protection for the uphill. For shorter trail runs I would wear something different, but those shoes were perfect for this job.

Color doesn't matter. Nobody looks at your footwear when you are shod. Only one runner noticed that they were the new Altra Lone Peaks.

Abide, what do you think about the "tail rudders". I think they just kick rocks and dust up into my ankles. I don't bomb downhills, so in my case they might be unnecessary. I wanted your opinion before I take a knife to them.

Ah sorry didnt see that question, a little late but I haven't cut them off. I don't know I wonder if I would notice a difference?

I have an update I have put quite a few more miles in them since and I am having one big issue with them. I keep twisting my ankle. I think I am actually going to go back to the superiors because of it. They feel a lot more stable to my injury prone ankle issue. For some reason I keep having this issue which I havebn't had in a long time. I think it might be related to the lack of width and groundfeel? Or maybe the higher stack height?

I cut mine off and had fewer debris getting into the shoe. I did not notice any difference in performance.

I think we get spoiled as barefoot runners being close to the ground. The stack height does mean more risk to the ankles. Also, the weight. These shoes will be reserved for technical hikes, I'll go with something lighter for trail running.

I cut mine off and had fewer debris getting into the shoe. I did not notice any difference in performance.

I cut the whale tail off mine after just a couple runs...they flung dirt onto the back of my legs constantly.

I think we get spoiled as barefoot runners being close to the ground. The stack height does mean more risk to the ankles. Also, the weight. These shoes will be reserved for technical hikes, I'll go with something lighter for trail running.

I have to be very aware of the stack height and twisting ankles...its a big deal for me with any footwear... the stackier the more I have to be careful.

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts