Altra Adam and Instinct Review

dmcchesney

Barefooters
Feb 25, 2011
Here is there website

Tonight I did a run with 2 guys from Altra and they were very friendly and knew a lot about their company and shoes. We were going on a 5 mile run and they let me use a pair or Adam's. After the run we talked and I threw on the Instinct and ran a 10th of a mile in them. Here is what I think:

*Disclaimer* The Adam was a size 12 when I needed an 11 so they were big. Also the model I ran in was redesigned so the problems I ran into won't happen anymore.

The Adam:
  • Available Late May 2011
  • Weight: 4.7 Ounces
  • Foot Shaped Design: Male SD-1 Last
  • 3.4mm Siped Performance Rubber BareSole Outsole
  • NRS: Natural Ride System
  • Breathable Stretch Upper with SecureCinch Strapping
  • SeeNoSeam Stitch Free Footbed
  • HeelClaw and A Wrap for Superior Fit
  • A-bound Strengthen and Molded Support Insole
This show reminds me a lot of a water shoe/aqua sock with 2 velcro straps across it. It is also similar to a KSO. It was big on me so the fit was a little off, but I really liked the shoe. I took the insole out so I was on only 3.4mm of rubber, also no socks. The feel was really good and the toe bow was wide to allow for a good splay. I was keeping up with one of the Altra guy who has finished four 100's and he was fast! So my form wasn't the best through 1.5 miles, then I let him go ahead. After about 2.5 miles I took them off to get my form under control and realized that the shoe rubbed so much on the top of my big toe I was bleeding! After a mile I put them back on and loosened up the strap across the toes. After that it kind of felt like a hurache when running. I ran in them for another mile going pretty fast to keep the group in sight so I wouldn't get lost lol. But at 4.5 miles I looked down and on my left foot blood was coming through the shoes! I took them off and finished the run BF. Now again they felt awesome with great ground feel and extremely lightweight, but the design changed for the production models that would solve those problems. This run was mostly asphalt with some hard dirt and gravel. Oh at one point I ran through some wet/muddy grass and my feet never got wet, unlike the KSO's!

Pros:

Lightweight, great ground feel, very minimal, and inside material great without insole or socks.

Cons:

A little more pricy then KSO's, and with the redesign no fit problems

The Instinct:
  • Available March 2011
  • Weight: 9oz
  • Foot Shaped Design: Male FS-1 Last
  • NRS: Natural Ride System
  • FootPod Outsole Encouraging Natural Motion
  • Quick dry air mesh upper with minimal seams
  • Asymmetrical Lacing, Heel Claw, and A-Wrap for superior fit
  • Drilex Premium Liner
  • Strengthen and Support Insoles
  • Designed to be worn without any insoles for Minimalist Runners or for those who prefer less cushion or more room.
I only did a near sprint short run in these. They were an 11 so pretty tight on my foot. It only has about ~10mm of cushion on it. Yes I said cushion, they called this shoe a "natural" shoe not minimalist shoe. It is still Zero Drop, which was awesome. During my short run these felt amazing, they were pretty heavy but still allowed me to keep good form and move quick. I have a pair of NB Minimus for work and I don't run in them, I would buy these in a heartbeat over my Minimus's! I ran in these without an insole and BF.

Pros:

Awesome feel, great cushioning, allowed me to keep my form, pretty lightweight, and wide toe box

Cons:

Not a minimalist shoe, cushioned bottom (felt weird but good after BF and KSO running), and thicker bottom so not the greatest ground feel

I was impressed with Altra. They even have steps to natural running on the inside of their boxes with ideas to go BF! Overall the three guys I met were awesome and very passionate about their shoes. The Instinct is out now, and the Adam will be available more close to summer.

I agree that the Adams and

I agree that the Adams and Instincts are both great shoes. I have an indepth review of the Instincts on my site if you're interested in a more conventional type shoe but want to maintain some of the better aspects of minimalism. I have run in the Adams like Chesney but thankfully didn't have any of the issues he did with bleeding. I find them to be very comfortable and spot on in terms of what we look for in a minimal shoe.

Chesney do you think that some of the issue was from the shoe being too big? If you've got too much room in there I could see you sliding around and causing the friction.

Yeah it was a combo of them

Yeah it was a combo of them being to big and the design on them. The reps said that the forefoot strap was going to get moved back an inch to rid the problem of rubbing. So a proper fitting shoe and the new desing = no bleeding

I ditched two diffrent VFF

I ditched two diffrent VFF shoes I had recently. Sold one, and traded the other. Best thing of done with shoes so far. I've been looking at these Adams. That says a lot for me cause I won't give most min shoes the time of day. I really wish the Adam did not have the toe spring. Other then that it looks like it could possibly be very comfortable for limited use as needed.

I heard they are releasing a lace version in the summer rather then velcro. I might consider the lace version. Though to be real I have returned numerous min shoes due to not being happy with design. Not sure where this shoe will fall in my likeness factor, but I may look at it possibly for very limited uses. So far few shoes have passed my tests. I like the velcro, but would rather wait to compare velcro look to lace look. I'm not in any rush for another shoe product, but I may consider getting a Adam in my hands to see it in person.

It really looks like a five finger shoe, but without the rather silly toe pockets. At least Altra is trying to go in the right direction.....ditch the toe spring boys !

look at a shoe on a flat

look at a shoe on a flat surface. Toespring is when the toe of the shoe curls up. most traditional running shoes have it and so do my merrell's, but I've found that in the merrels because of the way teh sole is made, just having my foot in them makes that go away (disclaimer- I wear the pure gloves)

Amie

David- thank you for doing

David- thank you for doing your review.

The Adams fit my feet well. I'm a 9(+)EE and I bought the 9.5's. I think they are amazing. Not as good as barefoot, but the best I have tried. The Adam's eclipse my VFF KSO's, in my opinion. They are sublimely minimal. I am using them for everyday shoes. When it gets really cold, I expect to be running in my Adam's.

Ever onward!

-Eric

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon