Achilles tendon strain or calf strain?

Plant Based Caveman

Barefooters
Sep 26, 2011
Update on me… I have been running barefoot (unshod) for about 6 weeks. I am up to 1 mile now. I started slow (I have a BF friend who is guiding me through this. He has recently run a marathon barefoot), but I am still having some set-backs. I am not blaming my injuries on BFR specifically, I imagine the same thing would have happened if I ran shod. I am not a runner, or at least, I haven’t run in over 20 years. So these just might be growing pains of running in general (I’m 49 yrs old).

Anyway, the pain is near the bottom of my calf. I was doing my 1 mile BFR run and ¾’s of the way into it I got a cramp in my right calf. I only had a ¼ mile to go so I tried to mentally relax the calf. It seemed to work to some degree. I wasn't racing (it was a 13:10 mile) or pushing hard. There was no great pain or any “pop” – just a cramp sensation. However, after the run, about 15 minutes later after I got out of my car, it hurt in my lower calf every time I took a step. It doesn’t hurt when I raise my foot (toes) up, but rather when I point my foot (toes) down. So it hurts when I push off as I’m walking.

Does anyone know how to diagnose these things? Is it a cramp pain or a tendon strain? Is there anything I could do to diagnose it myself and what would anyone suggest as far as treatment for either problem?

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide.

Regards,

Joe

Hi Caveman,It sounds similar

Hi Caveman,

It sounds similar to the calf strain I had around 18 months ago. You can usually tell if it is a tendon problem by having a firm feel around the tendon area, if the tendon is sore it could be some tearing taking place. If that's the case it looks like you are going to have to rest for a while. If it the calf muscle you may be able to get a firm massage to see if there are any knots around the sore area. The problem with calf strains is that they only become apparent during a run, they seem fine while walking. I think you will be looking at around 3 weeks or more before it goes away.

Regards

Neil

Hey Neil, Thanks for youur

Hey Neil,

Thanks for youur input. As I have been lamenting lately, I don't know which is harder in the beginning; running BF or having patience... BFR is proving to be a workout in "patience" - for me, anyway.

I believe I am doing everything correctly; I have a friend who is a BFR and has completed a barefoot marathon recently. He has been guiding me and so I have been pretty much supervised in everythiing I am doing. I think the injuries (ITB a few weeks ago, some back pain possibly caused by sit-ups but aggravated by runnng, and now this), are par for the course and the body needs to adjust - I haven't run in over 20+ years.

I commented on another thread that it kind of reminds me of going on a plant-based diet; there is a period of it getting a little worse (headaches, aches, crankiness, etc) before it gets better... I'll keep my fingers crossed.. Thanks again,

Joe