Achilles tendon problem in shod runner

Spinningwoman

Barefooters
May 23, 2013
My husband re-started running at the same time I did, but wearing shoes. He was being (for his very type A personality) quite sensible, following a 'couch to 5K' app and only running alternate days. He is currently mega-gloomy because despite being 'sensible' his achilles has started playing up, as it always seems to when he starts to exercise seriously, and he has had to stop. I mentioned that I thought this was one of the problems that some people find is sorted out with bf running and he was a bit more interested than I expected. Does anyone have any achilles stories that I could share?

PS I have search the forum here, and found some helpful threads, but the net result seemed to be that achilles problems are maybe almost as likely with b/f as with shod runners, particularly if there is a pre-existing weakness. Would that be a fair summary? If that's the case, I don't want to push it as he would be very put off if it didn't help.

a plan is only sensible if it's adapted to your abilities. could be overworked, weak calves. search for trigger points to see if that helps. then tell him to do some strength training and shorten his stride and then listen to his body. you'd think basic movement wouldn't be so difficult, right?

Thanks. He has been using my roller, and the first time he used it it was quite painful so I guess there is a lot of tightness there. Neither he nor my son seem to be very good at listening to anything quieter than a scream of anguish from their bodies<g>.

Thanks. He has been using my roller, and the first time he used it it was quite painful so I guess there is a lot of tightness there. Neither he nor my son seem to be very good at listening to anything quieter than a scream of anguish from their bodies<g>.
I think it's a man thing. It's taken me two and a half years to really learn to listen to my body instead of ignoring the signals and pushing past the pain.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7