Achilles Pain and Trail Running

mykroberts

Barefooters
Mar 31, 2011
So two separate issues:

For the last couple weeks my achilles has started out stiff/sore - calf tightness has been an issue for much of my time barefooting but never achilles pain before. It doesn't seem serious yet but I don't want it to turn into a real injury

Is it possible to acclimate your feet to trail running if you dont do it that often?

I went to the LA Naked Tour trail run on the 10th and decided to barefoot it. I don't own any running footwear, but I almost exclusively run on sidewalk, road, and grass (up to about 6-7 miles a run). I figured this 5 mile run would be a good time to try out some trail running. I am not sure how great my form was on the way up as I'm not used to hills and felt like I had to dig my feet in to combat sliding on the sloped trail. The way up was definitely manageable on the feet however, but the way down got the best of me.

I started out trying to stay "light" on my feet which resulted in me flying down the hill. I would cruise along for a few secs between landing on a pebble in a tender spot. The discomfort of hitting a few in a row eventually made me want to slow down, but I found that the only real way was to lean back, and basically braking with my feet (which obviously did not work well). Wound up walking the end of the trail.

So is the only way to handle pebbles and rocks by hitting the trails every day to toughen the feet? Or do you deficient form?

Some photo documetation of the get together if any of you are interested...

Ken Bob shamelessly plugging his new book

sIBO1.jpg

McDougall sporting a Born to Run tattoo

MpNcB.jpg

Scott Jurek

t93a3.jpg

Away we go

1OwPC.jpg

Stragglers

poTca.jpg

Quick break at the top

mSLw6.jpg