6.5mile run walk with my wife...SO FUN!!!

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
I did a run with my wife last night and had a blast! I couldn't believe how easy it was and how great I felt! Her pace is quite a bit slower than mine, but after 120min we'd gone just over 6.5miles doing 4min run 1min walk intervals. It was the easiest 10K ish distance I've ever done and only slightly slower than my PB. With a fraction more effort, I could have stomped my PB 10K of 66min, I'm sure! My legs never got tight, walking never bothered me and my breathing felt light and easy the whole time...too easy! I need to see what I can do when I push...

I'm going to put this to the test for this week or so and, if it goes well, try it out in my 15K on the 30th.(gotta try with and without compression calf sleeves) I'll do a 5:1, though and much swifter on the run and see how I do. If I can best my 5K time or at least match it AND stay fresh to the end for my longer runs at a respectable pace, I will more than likely use this method for my half in November.

One of my running club friends said his fastest half to date was done using this method and he's never done a faster one by running straight through! If I can get anywhere near 2hrs even, I'M GOING TO DYSNEY LAND!! LOL!!

-Jonny

It's nice when it all comes

It's nice when it all comes together. And having your best buddy with you makes it so much nicer.

Nice to have your wife on

Nice to have your wife on board even though she's slower than you.

My wife hates running with me because I'm so much faster (on solo runs) than she is. On the few times that we have run together (and I am happy to slow down because I enjoy the time together, and with 3 small children at home, alone time is few and far between) she is extremely self conscious and, for lack of a better term, whiney. She says stuff like, "oh you must hate this" and, "are you even remotely tired at all?"

I wish my wife ran :/ If I

I wish my wife ran :/ If I could put a TV in front of her face while she ran with me, she could probably go for 2 hours just like she does on the elliptical :) Except that'd probably be kind of dangerous compared to stationary cardio, eh? You guys are pretty lucky to be married to someone willing to run with you!

I agree angel.  I wish my

I agree angel. I wish my wife ran too. She has all this pain while she runs, yet refuses to try minimalist/barefoot running. I've showed her lots of peer reviewed articles, tried to appeal to her intellectual side, but because this is not what the normal public does she won't do it. She doesn't want to look like the oddball. I wish the general public would figure out that the pseudoscience of footwear is not at all proven to be helpful. I think because it is a multi billion dollar business it will probably be something really hard to change and get rid of.

I tricked my wife into

I tricked my wife into getting minimalst shoes, and she loves them! She's got morning sickness too bad to run right now though.

My wife inadvertantly bought

My wife inadvertantly bought some of the Merrell minimalist shoes, forget what they are called, because they are cute. They are a daily wear shoe in their barefoot line. They occaisionaly hurt her heal though so she still wears her flip flops just about everyday. Only when it's cold or rainy does she wear these Merrell shoes. She sure didn't buy them because of me. I saw what they were when we were at the Merrell outlet store and waited till after she bought them before I mentioned anything about them being a minimalist shoe. She wouldn't have bought them otherwise.

Pregnant, Janson?! 

Pregnant, Janson?! Congrats!
regular_smile.gif

Nick, thats basically how my

Nick, thats basically how my wife got hers, we were at the REI garage sale, and I found a pair of Merrell pure gloves, and I showed them to her, and she she said they were cute. So, I bought them for her, and then later pointed out to her that they were minimalist.

TJ, yep, Thanks!

Matt M wrote:Nice to have

Matt M said:
Nice to have your wife on board even though she's slower than you.

My wife hates running with me because I'm so much faster (on solo runs) than she is. On the few times that we have run together (and I am happy to slow down because I enjoy the time together, and with 3 small children at home, alone time is few and far between) she is extremely self conscious and, for lack of a better term, whiney. She says stuff like, "oh you must hate this" and, "are you even remotely tired at all?"

I got some of that from her in the beginning, but I read that there is very little, cardio advantage to running faster. If you do 3 miles in 25min, you're done in 25min and you've spent most, if not all, your time in the cardio zone or muscle burning zone. If you run the same 3 miles with her in 45min, that's 20min longer and in your fat burning zone. That means you're training your body to burn fat on longer runs and save muscle and liver sugars for the end, so she's really helping you out! ;o) At least that's what I gathered from Galloway's book... I also love to chit-chat with her the whole way and we laugh a lot. How often are you engaging and entertained doing stuff you hate?? ;o)

My wife runs in Vibrams and has figured out her most efficient and gentle form on her own over time. That's another thing she doesn't worry about. My form is mine and her form is hers...we just do our own thing, together.

-Jonny

My hubby has some STEMS

My hubby has some STEMS coming in the mail! Let's hope this is the start of a brand new relationship.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7