10k barefoot

dutchie53

Barefooters
Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Finished my first official STG barefoot 10k. I ran the Grand Beach Sun Run 10k in Manitoba this Sunday. Weather was nice, first cool and overcast day in about 4 weeks. This run started on pavement and the last 3k was ran on the beach. This course was very barefoot friendly, with only a short section of gravel through a parking lot to get on the beach. Than it was trhough some dunes and soft sand to get to waters edge to get some firmer stuff to run on. The hardest part for me was running up the dunes and through soft sand, that really kicked my butt. I did not run for a PB, but rather for the enjoyment. Left my watch, Garmin and everything else at home, ran unplugged and enjoyed it a lot. Glad to have this one off my bucket list. My unofficial time was probably about 1 hour 10 minutes.

Yeah there were a few jumping in, I went in and cooled of the legs. Not one other barefooter was in this race, and the only one wearing min shoes was my daughter and her vff's. :) Made use of those white lines on the side of the road as much as I could, and had no tenderness at all on the bottom of the feet. One of the volunteers at one of the water stations said that I was the first barefooter that she has ever seen in that race. Talked to a lady at as we started and she asked some the usual question, "why". Other than that no comments at all that I could hear. Felt great at the end, no soreness at all, made me think of maybe a half yet this year.

Congrats, Dutchie! I would have loved to see you guys tackling the dunes. That would have been fun.

Well, how did it work out on the dunes, compared to the other runners? Curious here

My son who runs shod, has forefoot landing though, struggled with the dunes as well. My daughter (she is a lot lighter then her brother and dad) who was running in vff's did not seem bothered by it though. At least I had no sand in my shoes. :D It is a very fine sand, it made you sink in about 3", seemed to take 3 times the effort to run in the loose sand compared to packed. Smaller strides next time for sure.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7