WOW "traditional" running shoes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
Just a brief "whoa" I hope to share with you. After, what, 2.5 years of being "minimal" in my shoes or pure barefoot, I've grown to whine about how expensive my shoes can be ($35 for some sandals, on the order of $60 for my unshoes, up to $90 for soft stars, etc, you know the drill, and I just bought some VFFs on sale just to try and I can't stand them and bemoan the expense).
I forget that once I find a pair of minimal shoes that work for me, I wear them for everything every day and expect them to last indefinitely or need repair eventually.

Disclaimer before rant: I am agnostic on what other people wear or don't wear when they run or do anything else. I say, it's none of my business and plenty of people do just fine in big giant marshmallow shoes. If they are happy, let them be.

However.....
My local running store sent out their spring running shoe guide flyer, and I made the mistake of looking through it one tired night. Most of the shoes were in the $120-$150 range, many higher, only track shoes significantly lower. That doesn't count the recommended inserts,ranging from $30-$60.
OUTRAGEOUS.
Remember, too, you are supposed to replace the buggers every, what, 400 miles????
YIKES.
I don't see strong scientific evidence in favor of bf running or minimalist running after many years of wearing "traditional" shoes, sorry, but it's just not well done yet.
On the other hand, to my understanding, there is little to NO support to the claims shoes manufacturers make about cushioning, support and injury prevention.
Yet, the advertising seems to suggest that the shoes serve a medical-like purpose of creating proper stride, protecting your body from "impact," keeping your knees healthy, etc.
Again, I am neutral on what individuals wear.
And, yes, I know about the industry a bit from a few books.
But nothing like seeing those price tags and thinking about the THOUSANDS of dollars I used to spend on shoes only to have sore knees anyways and blame myself for it. Whew.
It feels downright unethical sometimes that these shoes are being so heavily promoted and in such a way...
I get it. It's the culture. But still. Boo.

Addendum: "minimal" shoes occupied one half a page of this advertising booklet, and the shoes they promoted as minimal looked just like regular running shoes to me, with cushioning and all that. I think Nike Frees were the only ones I recognized.

So this tells me the "fad" of minimal or barefoot running is fading according to running stores at least. I remember seeing a lot of VFF and Merrell barefoot advertising in that same running store not long ago.
I don't have much of an opinion on this aspect, I just thought it was interesting. Is minimal running fading since the "born to run" book is over and done?

Reactions: Bare Lee
A new sporting store in our area and all around us has opened up. It's called Academy Sports. It's a huge store. It carries VFFs! Now those in the Atlanta Metro and beyond don't have to go to REI, Sports Authority, or the local one-off mom-and-pop to get their VFFs. So, I tend to think that the VFFs are not a fad but will continue to grow...slowly, and as long as minimalist running is in people's minds, then the barefoot running concept will be too.

Can I move this to the Gear & Footwear forum?

Ya I've noticed the same trend here in OR too. The running store here though that sends me those same type of pamphlets tends to put their worst minshoes they have available in the pamphlet (the kind that look like normal shoes). I have found out that this store does not like the whole minimalist thing and tries to discourage/discredit it because they think the human body is flawed and needs support (basically meaning they make more money by selling supportive shoes and orthotics).

But my main rant was about the expense of it all.
Fine, sell people shoes for $150, but to then tell them it's "best" to replace them every few months?????
With no real evidence to back that up?
THAT feels creepy.
Or is it just bitterness that I used to fall for it, and figure my body would fall apart if I didn't obey?
But you still use antiperspirant right?

Reactions: scedastic
But my main rant was about the expense of it all.
Fine, sell people shoes for $150, but to then tell them it's "best" to replace them every few months?????
With no real evidence to back that up?
THAT feels creepy.
That's the nature of advertising, to suggest without promising, to lie without lying.
Fortunately, I never spent that much on shoes, as I couldn't keep running with all the problems that they kept causing me, despite my repeated attempts.

I think that it's important to understand that the lack of evidence regarding shod vs unshod running does not mean that complacency is acceptable.

Research has been posted in other threads documenting the adverse effects of wearing shoes.
Illinois Podiatric Medical Association
Only a small percentage of the population is born with foot problems. It is neglect, and a lack of awareness of proper care -- including ill-fitting shoes -- that bring on the problems.
Since research shows that shoes can be harmful, I can appreciate that running in shoes may increase the risk of injury.

Not all behavior needs to be dictated by research. I know to be careful when using sharp scissors. I don't need research to tell me that running with scissors is inadvisable.

Research is expensive and much better spent on studying much more complex disease processes. Besides, I literally do not have time to wait for a 30yr study to document the arthritic differences between two cohorts of runners.

Just because certain habits or traditions are widely accepted doesn't mean that they are healthy.

In addition, since I am part of a group health insurance plan, other people's behavior do affect me, as their lack of self-care increases my insurance rates. I have every right to try to promote my group's good health.

Hmmm, if I answer, I could either become a dirty filthy hippie here forever, or lose my hippie credentials.
I'm going to say what the government would: I can neither confirm nor deny your allegations, since it would compromise national security.
Well, I think antiperspirant is kind of like cushioning in shoes. It interferes with natural anatomical/physiological functioning under the guise of a made-up need that creates demand through spurious advertising. Like Sid implied, it's best to just use deodorant. Also, use an unscented, basic soap like Nutragena for the pits. I really helps keep the odor down. Nothing about being an adorable hippie chick necessitates smelling bad. For me, it's far more offensive to have to breath heavily perfumed bodies, male or female, than to breath body odor.

Well, I think antiperspirant is kind of like cushioning in shoes. It interferes with natural anatomical/physiological functioning under the guise of a made-up need that creates demand through spurious advertising. Like Sid implied, it's best to just use deodorant. Also, use an unscented, basic soap like Nutragena for the pits. I really helps keep the odor down. Nothing about being an adorable hippie chick necessitates smelling bad. For me, it's far more offensive to have to breath heavily perfumed bodies, male or female, than to breath body odor.

I agree. SO agrees. However, I'm looking for a job right now, though. Sadly. :(

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon