Who should be our sperm donor?

mandytheartist

Barefooters
Feb 16, 2012
Sudbury, MA
When the time comes, who should donate to our cause? Our 1st choice is Steph's Dad, because we want the baby to be genetically connected to her. When I mention this to people IRL, they squirm (because Steph would technically be the baby's half-sister). Steph's an only child, and doesn't have a close cousin. So, is there a way to make the half-sister issue less creepy?Or should we give up the genetic connection dream?

Mandy,

I suppose this doesn't really need to be stated, but for clarity's sake, you will be the one carrying the pregnancy or supplying the egg then, correct? Would it be out of the question for her to do so and the sperm donation come from your side?

Gracia y paz,

Aaron

I see a flock of hands going up around the pub...ignore Chaser since he just got snipped. I nominate PilotRunner.

Is there a reason the baby needs to be genetically connected?
I have to say, it does sound a little weird to have her fathers sperm used..what if the donor came from your side of the family?
So it'd be her egg, with your male relatives sperm in your uterus... if I've got this all sorted out properly! :D
The baby would have your genes, but wouldn't be AS directly connected (and odd) as using Steph's dad.

As an aside, does steph's dad know you want to use his sperm? I could only imagine the look on his face! :D

Peace

Do they actually take live swimmers and let them fertilize an egg in a petri dish? For some reason I remember something about removing the genetic material from the sperm and actually injecting it into the egg, thus fertilizing it. Other than the guarantee of a female child what is preventing a scientist from doing the same with the genetic material from one egg and injecting it into another?

I'm going out on a limb here and will assume that there is some relation to the Caw family? If this is the case, I'm certain that M.M. would be happy to oblige by donating for the good of the family. You would have to clear it through Fields first, but from what I understand she just lays around waiting to be plowed anyway; she should be easy to convince.

M.M. would be a good match, he also has very little body fat; he does a LOT of plowing. From what he has told me, he is a regular sperm donor and has actually won several awards for his efforts; I believe they called one a Slammy.

He's not so pretty to look at, so you'll want to go through a Dr. or do it "Discovery Channel" style so you don't lose your lunch.

If you're interested in finding out if he's in your family tree, let me know and I'll send him a letter with the request.

I say who cares what other people think and use her dad. This assuming she has a super good relationship with him, and he wouldn't end up causing problems later on. No one needs to know where you got the sperm from. Just say a donor and move on when people ask. You can tell the child when they are old enough to understand. You shouldn't let other people's issues decide what genetic material your baby has. So long as the egg and the sperm come from opposite sides of the family do whatever makes you happy.

Thanks ajb! We worry more about it worrying the child.
Yep, just one thing to consider...people develop into strange creatures.

Will someday the thought that the old guy who the child calls "Grandpa" is really also DAD have any negative effects? Just tossin' that out there for thought.

I am my own grandpa.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I had that tune swimming in my head already, Ram. Great minds think alike.

Q: who should be our sperm donor?

A: whomever you feel would be best. Everyone will have an opinion, but it's all up to you and yours. If you have any reservations about anyone, for any reason, I'd think it reason enough to consider another route. If you are worried about any stigma or confusion for your spawn (affectionately said; I have two of my own), remember it's love, not genetics that make your kids yours:)

Would you be telling the child this super early on in life? I'm not sure its something I'd try to explain to a kid. I think I'd be sticking with "sperm donor" until they were pretty old and you could really gauge maturity level.

I'd bet even then though most kids would understand. I've known kids who called their mom sister because they had them really young and the grandparents raised them. Its not all that different. It's who actually does that parenting that matters. I don't see how it would be different if she had a brother or cousin who would be doing it. If you wanted the genetic link known to other people who asked you could even escape details by saying a relative of hers. No need to specify which relative. Although as everyone else said, its love not genetics that really matter. I'm a huge fan of adoption anyway.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7