What's normal after stress fracture is healed?

fetish4running

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
So I've returned to running after my 7 weeks off. I'm running very short distances. Today was the first time I've run 2 miles. How should my foot feel? Is it okay for it to be kind of tender to touch after a run? There's no pain when I walk. And it doesn't hurt while I'm running. It doesn't feel as strong as my other foot, though, which seems natural. I'm so scared of re-injuring it that I think I might be overly cautious. I always take 1-2 days off between runs, but I'm so anxious to just bust out and go! But I'm also scared!

Can anyone tell me, from experience, what it should feel like when I run and afterwards?

Fet, welcome back! Oh how

Fet, welcome back! Oh how I know what you are going through. Definitely ease back in, keep up with the resting between runs and slooowly add mileage. I definitely felt like my foot wasn't as strong as it was pre injury (and compared to the non injured foot). I noticed some aching in the "big toe meets foot" joint for a few weeks once out and running and some arch pain. Though it's better now, plantar skin was a bit tender and sensitive and took a little bit to work that back up, though not long.

Thx Zum!  It feels good to be

Thx Zum! It feels good to be back on the road, but I'm sad that my miles are so pathetic! I was hoping you'd answer because I know you just went through this. I know you took 1-2 days off between runs; did you do that because you felt your foot needed the rest? How long did it take before you weren't thinking about your foot all the time?

To be honest, while I had a

To be honest, while I had a few days of "rest" between runs, it wasn't entirely being rested as I teach Zumba throughout the week too (which is high impact). Though I'm careful when I teach to NOT put too much impact on my feet. I do think that I needed the days between runs (probably don't need a full 2 days between runs after the first week or two). I wouldn't say it took too long, 2-3 weeks, before I wasn't thinking about my foot constantly. I do think about it still though, and try to pay attention to what it's telling me. I will not be ignoring the signs again, that's just trouble:p

You'll get back up there quickly, muscle memory's some pretty cool stuff and your healed bone is likely stronger now than before the fracture. Just make sure you arent' overcompensating somehow elsewhere...keep the weight distribution even and your form in check. Don't baby it but do listen to it.

Hope this helps, soon it will all be behind you. Maybe try some other type of lower impact/high intensity cardio in the meantime to pair with your runs

Thanks, Zum.  I think I just

Thanks, Zum. I think I just needed reassurance that all is well. I'm feeling a little better everytime. I agree with you too; I think I will always pay much closer attention to what my body (& feet) tell me in the future! Injuries that put you out of commission suck!

No doubt, though what's to be

No doubt, though what's to be learned from them are priceless. Happy trails Fet, hope that foot continues to feel good and enjoy runs again!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7