What's good in winter gear & footwear?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
I have a friend who is opening a minimalist running store, and he would like to know from you all how best to stock his store for the colder months, winter, snow, ice, etc. What would you like to see in a minimalist running store as far as clothing, gear, footwear, socks, types, materials, etc.? Throw it all out there! Thanks.

Wool socks, wool toe

Wool socks, wool toe socks.

Maybe material and tools for people who want to make their own sandals (I know the profit margin on these would be minimal but it may make customers happy). It would be neat to have a real store where to see and touch samples of Lunas, invisible shoes, etc. Even if those companies don't use retailers it would be great to have a place to see their product before placing an order.

I ran in homemade sandals+wool socks last winter and plan to do the same this winter except for a few wet snowy days when scuba boots might be warmer, and I'll wear my Merrell Pace Gloves when traction is needed which is rarely the case here since it's so flat.

The usual winter gear is not specific to barefoot/minshod runners: pants, hats, gloves, jacket.

For all seasons:

Compression sleeves, cool BRS stickers and temporary tatoos, RoadId and other ways to attach timimg chips (dog collars, velcro brands, neoprene bands, etc).

A selection of camel backs. I don't personnaly own or use one but I know people use them without the bladder to carry their shoes. Handhelds, hydration belts.

Nail polish. It makes me run better ;-)

Thanks, sloutre, for that

Thanks, sloutre, for that detailed response.

I hear ya on the nail polish!

I mentioned this last year,

I mentioned this last year, but I made a pair of invisibleshoe.com sandals. My wife took a old thick pair of my wool socks and sewed a socket for my big toe. They look like mittens for feet. They work great and kept my feet warm as long as they stay dry. Cold dry snow is good, but step in slush or otherwise get them wet and things fall apart real quickly.

There's currently nothing

There's currently nothing good, shoe-wise. Altra Adam/Eve may be suitable, if it ever becomes available. Everything else has the badly shaped toebox brought over from conventional shoes.

As for socks, merino wool is the best. I've searched unsuccessfully for tabi socks made of merino. They'd be the best of the best so, if your friend is interested in providing something special that would be in demand, there it is. Knee-height, please.

He's watching this thread, so

He's watching this thread, so thanks for all the good feedback. Keep 'em coming.