What happened to your shoes?

jcornelius6

Barefooters
Aug 21, 2013
I just wondered today, what to do with my shoes...! Should I knot the shoelaces together and throw them over some cables or plant something in it... or...just throw them away ?!

I just don't know yet! Maybe a ritual involving a bonfire...

What did you do with your old shoes?

Please, tell the story of your not anymore used shoes ... and what happened to them.

Thanks,
Alex

I just hate they are going to have to end up in the landfill at the end of their life, whether that be short or long. :hungover:

Reactions: jcornelius6
I use mine to decorate my closet, or to keep handy in case I find that someone really won't let me in somewhere without them or I find myself going to a function (i.e. related to hubby's work) where I need to wear them. I haven't tested all the venues yet! I have given away a few of them to those who faced regulation footwear, like a daughter who is a semi-professional referee. Black shoes required for that.

The thing about donation is, that I'm giving something to someone that I know is bad for them. I know it's up to them (and any individual) to decide for themselves what is good for them, but....I feel like I'm condoning the wearing of (bad) shoes if I do. I threw my old running shoes out. I've kept some footwear, just in case I'm forced to wear something. And, you know, I still like my Converse High-Tops, they at least don't have arch support or anything. I hardly wear them though.

Reactions: George Bucheimer
Exactly my thinking. I mean, I guess people's hearts are in the right place for wanting to "donate" them for a "good cause," or to people who can't afford them or something. But if you ask me, I'd be doing them a favor if I stole the shoes they already had and threw them away.

It actually makes me pretty sad seeing elementary school kids and middle school kids running around in shoes, because I know I would give anything to go back in time and never have worn any. I seriously want to plead with parents and just say "please don't let your child wear shoes."

It's just so sad that people don't get to continue to enjoy moving around and playing for fun after they get out of public school.

...but to answer the question, I used to love saving all of my old pairs of shoes (mostly skateboarding shoes) and wearing them until there were giant holes in them. I still have probably about ten pairs in my room in a pile under my desk. I like to keep them mainly because childhood rocked and they remind me of that time period. Also, I've acquired many pairs of minimalist shoes over the past year and a half; but that, in my opinion, has been a complete waste of money, I hate even wearing SoftStar Moc 3s and my other pair of soft star shoes. I always think that there has got to be something out there that will feel like I'm nearly barefoot, but I think I'm just kidding myself.

Nothing compares.

The thing about donation is, that I'm giving something to someone that I know is bad for them. I know it's up to them (and any individual) to decide for themselves what is good for them, but....I feel like I'm condoning the wearing of (bad) shoes if I do. I threw my old running shoes out. I've kept some footwear, just in case I'm forced to wear something. And, you know, I still like my Converse High-Tops, they at least don't have arch support or anything. I hardly wear them though.

If they keep your feet from freezing, then shoes are not entirely bad.

If they keep your feet from freezing, then shoes are not entirely bad.

You have a point.

But if you are living somewhere in which your natural body cannot handle the elements, then it would probably be more logical to go somewhere that it can.

Obviously we don't do much migrating these days....we probably should though.

Reactions: Bryan Harris
Yes there are too many people... not just to migrate (but that's a whole other discussion).

However, if only those of us who want to be barefoot move toward the equator, then our new neighbors who are disgusted with us all being barefoot, might move further from the equator, to climates where chronic shoe-wearing actually makes some sense (at least in the winter). And you don't need to move to the equator, just closer... 33 years ago I moved to coastal southern California and though there are mornings where it's a bit chilly for barefooting, it generally warms up later in the day. Besides the variations in whether insure that I stay indoors and get some rest and do other work too.

Once we've taken over the sunbelt, we can abolish all the "No Bare Feet, No Service" signs! Today southern California, tomorrow, the world! Nee haa ha ha haa!

Reactions: Larry and DNEchris

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7