The loincloth trend...

Actually I make fun of people for that Jen. I do not cry during movies, but if you show me something about a wounded veteran I'm a blubbering baby. There was a show were a soldier returned home from overseas and surprised his family and I started balling. My daughter and wife don't let me live that down.

Actually I make fun of people for that Jen. I do not cry during movies, but if you show me something about a wounded veteran I'm a blubbering baby. There was a show were a soldier returned home from overseas and surprised his family and I started balling. My daughter and wife don't let me live that down.

I'm strangely immune to that sort of thing...

Cool fact: I know someone whose house was fixed up by Extreme Makeovers and Hubby knows someone too (different people).

Reactions: NickW
I didn't use to cry at movies, but then I had some life experiences that were difficult, and now I cry about all kinds of stuff that completely confuses people who don't know my background. I can be in a store and see someone trip and start to sob. It can be difficult. :(

That wasn't a show, that was the Jeep ad during the Super Bowl :D

I didn't use to cry at movies, but then I had some life experiences that were difficult, and now I cry about all kinds of stuff that completely confuses people who don't know my background. I can be in a store and see someone trip and start to sob. It can be difficult. :(

But since we're being emotionally vulnerable here, I cannot - and I mean canNOT - watch the Humane society ads (either the one with Willie Nelson and definitely the one with Sarah Maclaughlan). I also got a little weepy at the Budweiser SuperBowl ad and a little bit at the Jeep ad (though that one pissed me off, because it feels like they're pimping out soldiers to sell Jeeps which somehow seems wrong).

snip snip snip. ouch.

Tj, i don't think you spend enough time around women. i sense things better than you. oh man, what does that say about me? :confused:o_O

I have a hubby and two boys, and three boy cats, so other than the one girl cat, I am the only girl.

That wasn't a show, that was the Jeep ad during the Super Bowl :D
Actually there was a show where a soldier did this and then it became much more common place after that. Being a Vet and knowing the feeling of being away from family due to being overseas just gets me. Having lost friends and had friends lose limbs, veteran stuff in general often gets me. I keep thinking I want to become a soldiers advocate because there is so much wrong with our va and government system and our soldiers don't deserve to be treated like I have been. Only problem is I would probably be yelling and crying all at the same time.

Reactions: happysongbird
Actually there was a show where a soldier did this and then it became much more common place after that. Being a Vet and knowing the feeling of being away from family due to being overseas just gets me. Having lost friends and had friends lose limbs, veteran stuff in general often gets me. I keep thinking I want to become a soldiers advocate because there is so much wrong with our va and government system and our soldiers don't deserve to be treated like I have been. Only problem is I would probably be yelling and crying all at the same time.

Have you thought about trying to get a job with Wounded Warrior Foundation?

Reactions: jldeleon
Have you thought about trying to get a job with Wounded Warrior Foundation?
I have. Actually I have a friend who was really helped out by them a lot after he was blown up by an ied and was in a coma for a while. He is relatively fine now (all things considered that is. I mean he's alive and able to enjoy his family) but he still has memory problems and can't run and walks with a hitch in his giddyup. He is truly an inspiration though with his cheerfulness. He does a lot of speaking for them at conventions and stuff now.

Reactions: jldeleon
I have. Actually I have a friend who was really helped out by them a lot after he was blown up by an ied and was in a coma for a while. He is relatively fine now (all things considered that is. I mean he's alive and able to enjoy his family) but he still has memory problems and can't run and walks with a hitch in his giddyup. He is truly an inspiration though with his cheerfulness. He does a lot of speaking for them at conventions and stuff now.

That is really awesome. A friend of mine is currently working for them now and loves it. She worked in behavioral health for years with the most acute patients at one of the posts with the highest rate of suicides. I do not know everything that she does but I know she travels all the time and she was making sure some sort of PTSD program overseas was going well at one point in time... I think it is cool because I found her the job. Lol.

That is really awesome. A friend of mine is currently working for them now and loves it. She worked in behavioral health for years with the most acute patients at one of the posts with the highest rate of suicides. I do not know everything that she does but I know she travels all the time and she was making sure some sort of PTSD program overseas was going well at one point in time... I think it is cool because I found her the job. Lol.
That's awesome. So many vets are returning with PTSD, some that are pretty severe cases, and they are having problems getting covered by the VA. Not to mention all the other problems that the VA is not covering, or just declining to treat. The suicide rates of Vets are super high, like more deaths per day from suicide than from the war. The numbers are at 22 per day due to suicide and only 1 per day from the war. People don't seem to realize that. I think the VA screwing vets around probably adds to the numbers. Makes me so mad and I hope I can help in some way.

That's awesome. So many vets are returning with PTSD, some that are pretty severe cases, and they are having problems getting covered by the VA. Not to mention all the other problems that the VA is not covering, or just declining to treat. The suicide rates of Vets are super high, like more deaths per day from suicide than from the war. I want to say the numbers were around 30 per day due to suicide and only 1 per day from the war. People don't seem to realize that. I think the VA screwing vets around probably adds to the numbers. Makes me so mad and I hope I can help in some way.

That sounds about right. Many of them have co-occurring disorders (a mental illness AND substance abuse problem). I served as the liason between her clinic and ours.

I deal with soldiers on a daily basis with PTSD. Some diagnosed, some not. After three years though, I'm thinking about going into some other type of social work.

That sounds about right. Many of them have co-occurring disorders (a mental illness AND substance abuse problem). I served as the liason between her clinic and ours.

I deal with soldiers on a daily basis with PTSD. Some diagnosed, some not. After three years though, I'm thinking about going into some other type of social work.
I bet that's really hard to deal with. I know a lot of my friends have tried to self medicate, and it never seems to end well. I tried to dull stuff right when I first got out with alcohol but I learned really quick that doesn't work well for me at all and just makes things worse. I am one of the lucky few who actually figure this out. If I drink now I do not touch hard alcohol and I only allow myself one or two beers.

I bet that's really hard to deal with. I know a lot of my friends have tried to self medicate, and it never seems to end well. I tried to dull stuff right when I first got out with alcohol but I learned really quick that doesn't work well for me at all and just makes things worse. I am one of the lucky few who actually figure this out. If I drink now I do not touch hard alcohol and I only allow myself one or two beers.

I have such a passion for soldiers. Hubby was in for 9 years and we were together 7+ of those. It honestly just wears on me over time.

Ha ha ha! This was from a race out here near Portland. Mike thinks this is an admirer of his! Hah! View attachment 1602
I'm actually the guy in the photo at the beginning of this thread. I started wearing the loincloth for a Turkey Trot and have been for every race since. For the colder weather, the two layers of leather cut the wind so my "extremity" doesn't get cold. The shoes are flats and I switch up between Five Fingers and my shoes. I do run BF often but am working up to longer distances. I'm in Corvallis OR and get tons of double-takes!

I'm actually the guy in the photo at the beginning of this thread. I started wearing the loincloth for a Turkey Trot and have been for every race since. For the colder weather, the two layers of leather cut the wind so my "extremity" doesn't get cold. The shoes are flats and I switch up between Five Fingers and my shoes. I do run BF often but am working up to longer distances. I'm in Corvallis OR and get tons of double-takes!

So, you may have had some crazy woman touch your thigh at the Heartbreaker Half...with red hair. Did you notice a loud and obnoxious redhead near you? Lol! What brought you to Hillsboro? Are you in the Oregon Chapter, on here? You should join it! Are you interested in running in Hood to Coast - I am "re-recruting" because all my people are falling apart. Next time you are doing a race or run in, or around Portland, message me and we will arrange a fest!!!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7