Saving Turtles

Barefoot Larry

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Ocean, NC
Hey TJ, Just saved another turtle today from certain death. The turtle was in the road (4 lane hwy), I pulled over and put it back in the woods. Good thing I was barefoot, as I was able to do this quickly!!!!

haha, I've had to do that at

haha, I've had to do that at time or two, good for you Larry :)

How precious.  Makes us

How precious. Makes us wonder where he had to go in such a slow hurry. Turtles are special and should be treated as such. I saw a promo commercial for a Disney program coming up that had little baby turtles heading into the sea. They were so cute! -Tammy the Turtle

I'll admit something slightly

I'll admit something slightly embarassing here - I save snails. We have large "Weinbergschnecken", the kind used for escargo and other gourmet snail dishes. They're not destructive and they're really quite beautiful and interesting animals once you spend a little time with them. I run on a lot of farm roads, so I see them all the time after a rainfall. I scoop them up and toss them into the bushes, there are some stretches where I can barely make any progress at all.

It's like a habit now, I've actually tried refusing and running past them but then turned around to save them anyway. The one exception is speed work, then I just run around them. But on the cool down, yep, I'll save them again.

I woman friend of mine got me started on it. She saves them while out Nordic Walking. She told me about it and then I just couldn't avoid doing it myself :shy:

Also, years ago, driving to work, I stopped very short to save a turtle that was crossing an intersection on her way to a brook on the other side. Dumb thing was that there was somebody driving right behind me and came that close to slamming into my trunk! He got out of the car and was furious, ready to kill me. I just carried the turtle to the water and drove on...

Can you say O C D?  That's

Can you say O C D? That's you and me, Willie. I save everything just like you do, so don't feel bad about it. Feel good!

It's Anguis Fragilis season

It's Anguis Fragilis season again. These poor creatures:

are too dumb (or too horny?) to stay away from open areas where they become quick and easy snacks for the all the falcons and hawks that virtually infest this area. They're not so easy to spot at first because they look like sticks, but they have a gorgeous bronze shimmer that is hard to oversee when you get closer to them.

Their only defense seems to be a bit of poopy that the squeeze out when you pick them up. I suppose if they crap straight into the gaping maw of a bird of prey, they might stand a chance of being dropped, but I doubt the birds are stupid enough to give up and go home just because of that.

So... I saves 'em. I pick them up, been crapped on a couple times, but I don't hold a grude and I carry them off into the thicker part of the woods, away from the farmer tracks I run on. I've brought a couple home in my jacket pockets and kept them a couple days in a terrarium, but they just burrow under the dirt and wait to be released.

Forgot the wiki

Forgot the wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anguis_fragilis

(writing this in a new reply because I'm nervous about messing with the one above - took me five tries to get it right. And of course "grude" was suppose to be "grudge" - I don't know how to hold a grude)

Dumb...horny...what's the

Dumb...horny...what's the difference? :sexy:

So... I saves 'em. I pick

So... I saves 'em. I pick them up, been crapped on a couple times, but I don't hold a grude

HAAAAAA! I laughed so hard, I broke a rib...and I read it as grudge 'cuz I knew what you meant.

I'm always rescuing every little spider, beetle, ear wick, whatever from my house. I softly, gently pick them up with a tissue and pitch them through the cat door. I save every critter my cats drag into the house, mice, birds, snakes, and bunnies. I tried to save a baby bunny that got away from my cat once she got inside the house with it. It hid under the bed. When I finally could get it out, I realized it was missing it's back's hide. I did some reseach thinking I could save it, and read that it is normal for the skin to come off that easily; it's the way the animal escapes its predator. I rushed it to two vets offices; one was closed, the other wouldn't take it, so I drove about 40 miles north to the only resuce shelther I could find that would take it. Problem was it was sooooo freakin' hot that day, so I turned the air on in my car, so my baby wouldn't get overheated in his car seat. Well that did the poor bunny in. You're supposed to keep injured animals (and people) warm, don't let them get cold, or they will go into shock. DOH! Needless to say, we turned around and came back home and burried it.

Barefoot TJ wrote:so I drove

Barefoot TJ said:
so I drove about 40 miles north to the only resuce shelther I could find that would take it.

We need a big, golden trophy smiley, because that's what I want to give you, TJ :)

I also transort bugs out of the apartment - I lay a water glass over them and slide a piece of paper underneath. I mean, the big hairy spiders and hard to catch houseflies.

That is one of my many

That is one of my many technigues too! It works great for wasps who are somehow magnetically attracted to the inside of our glass doors and don't want to budge. :bigsmile:

I have my official bug

I have my official bug catcher kit. A plastic cup and a plastic sheet. Spiders, bees, wasps etc. I put the outside. Squirrels get hit by cars and don't make it. But if its dead in the street, I pick it up by its tail and put it in the grass on the side. I'm trying to give it some dignity.

Too bad we can't easily save the sea turtles from the oil spill.

Okay, I don't drag dead

Okay, I don't drag dead animals out of the street. I won't go that far. I get the ibbie jibbies just thinking about it. Ewwwww!

I am absolutely SICKENED by what is happening, has been happening, in the Gulf right now! The poor innocent animals suffering and dying. Yea, thanks for reminding me of the turtles. I hope they contain it soon...no NOW!

It's so horrible. And there's

:cry:

It's so horrible. And there's virtually nothing being reported on it! What the hell is going on down there?

Larry - kudos to the dignity, I do the same thing. I get so upset when I see a dead or dying animal in the street, not only because of the tragic death but because it means some bastard just kept on driving like it was nothing.

I worked with some real psychos who bragged about swerving to hit animals on purpose.... grrr. I get shaky just thinking about it.

Willie, since Angius fragilis

Willie, since Angius fragilis are a lizard species they have another defense mechanism. They can drop their tail if they have to, it's quite effective as the predators usually aren't smart enough to keep their focus on the "main" part since the tail moves too much on it's own. They only do this in extreme cases though since it takes both a lot of time and energy to grow it back.

Yeah, I'm a reptile nerd, if only by association. My brother breeds asian vipers and is involved in a conservation project for amphibians in the area where he lives so it's hard not to learn these things...

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon