Push me over the edge

Lucas V

Barefooters
Aug 20, 2023
NOTE: *I apologize if some have seen this post on r/BarefootRunning, but I wanted to get a variety of opinions.*

Hi all,

I've had a knee injury for the past couple months, and I'm just starting to get over it with more comprehensive lifting and stretching routines. I want to prevent this from happening again, and every time I go more minimal, I feel better, but there are just a few things preventing me from going to minimalist shoes/sandals:

• I don't see many high level runners going minimalist - seems that almost all of the top level HS, NCAA, professionals definitely aren't going minimalist. I've read some threads about it in r/AdvancedRunning, and most in those threads have tried minimalist shoes, but just learn that their foot strike needs to be more forward, and instead go to zero/low drop cushioned shoes. Is this just because most of the top level and publicized runners are caught up in tradition through coaches, and that their sponsors are shoe companies?

• I'm a young runner, and I don't want to mess up my running career. I've done an unshod 9-miler on grass, but I don't know if this is similar to running on concrete/pavement with minimalist shoes/sandals, and most of my running is on road or a track.
TLDR; I want to go minimalist, but I see so few highly successful runners doing it, and that makes me nervous!

Note: does anybody have good recommendations for shoes/sandals? My favorite ones that I've looked at are the Xero Speed Force and Luna Venado (though I'm leaning towards sandals because of the socklessness and lighter weight).

Thanks so much for the help!

Welcome!

Since I post barefoot and minimalist running articles on the site here (not all of them make it though), I have an alert system set up to receive this type of news. As you know, many of the elite runners come from Africa (South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia, etc.). I am always coming across articles from around the world that highlight these runners, and each of these articles talk about how in their days BEFORE they became professional elites, each one of them started out running barefoot (not minimal) long distances on tough and hard terrain, yet when they get a lucrative contract in the US, they immediately give up running barefoot per their agreement and run in whatever brand shoe that sponsors them. They get a ton of money, and they send that money back home to their families. It's apparent that they were able to run very well (fast and healthy) barefoot FIRST in order to be granted a high-paying running/sponsored contract.

It's believed barefoot running is healthier than running minimal because your skin and foot structure will tell you when you are overdoing it, while your minshoes (and, of course, boat anchors) will mask that feedback. If you're running in difficult terrain and/or through dangerous temperatures, then (once you have a good barefoot running form) minshoes might be the better option. A good in-between could be a pair of socks, just plain old cotton socks, although you won't get the same feedback as being truly barefoot. Running barefoot through grass and sand may feel incredible, but grass and sand can hide dangerous things you could step on.

Whether you're running barefoot or shod, you must pay attention to what is happening to your feet and your body, and you do this by progressing slowly. Avoid doing too much too soon (TMTS).

I just know way too many people who have healed their running-related injuries once they ditched the boat anchors and opted for barefoot (over minimal) running.

The bottom line is... No one can really tell you what your running future looks like. You may or may not become injured running barefoot, OR you may or may not become injured running in shoes of any kind. It depends on what you really want out of running and what you're willing to do to get it.

Reactions: Random and Lucas V
Thanks so much for your detailed reply! I’ve ordered a pair of Luna Venados, are these a good starting point to get used to it before going unshod?

Welcome!

Since I post barefoot and minimalist running articles on the site here (not all of them make it though), I have an alert system set up to receive this type of news. As you know, many of the elite runners come from Africa (South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia, etc.). I am always coming across articles from around the world that highlight these runners, and each of these articles talk about how in their days BEFORE they became professional elites, each one of them started out running barefoot (not minimal) long distances on tough and hard terrain, yet when they get a lucrative contract in the US, they immediately give up running barefoot per their agreement and run in whatever brand shoe that sponsors them. They get a ton of money, and they send that money back home to their families. It's apparent that they were able to run very well (fast and healthy) barefoot FIRST in order to be granted a high-paying running/sponsored contract.

It's believed barefoot running is healthier than running minimal because your skin and foot structure will tell you when you are overdoing it, while your minshoes (and, of course, boat anchors) will mask that feedback. If you're running in difficult terrain and/or through dangerous temperatures, then (once you have a good barefoot running form) minshoes might be the better option. A good in-between could be a pair of socks, just plain old cotton socks, although you won't get the same feedback as being truly barefoot. Running barefoot through grass and sand may feel incredible, but grass and sand can hide dangerous things you could step on.

Whether you're running barefoot or shod, you must pay attention to what is happening to your feet and your body, and you do this by progressing slowly. Avoid doing too much too soon (TMTS).

I just know way too many people who have healed their running-related injuries once they ditched the boat anchors and opted for barefoot (over minimal) running.

The bottom line is... No one can really tell you what your running future looks like. You may or may not become injured running barefoot, OR you may or may not become injured running in shoes of any kind. It depends on what you really want out of running and what you're willing to do to get it.

I’m not sure since everyone may have different experiences with them )or any kind of footwear or even barefoot). I’ve never owned a pair, but I’ve heard good things about them.

Good luck! Let us know how you progress.

Any other commenters?

Reactions: Lucas V
Reactions: Random and Lucas V

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7