Peanut Butter Chip Chase 5K

randicoot

Barefooters
Apr 29, 2011
New Hampshire
I did my first race ever yesterday, the Peanut Butter Chip Chase 5K in Temple NH. I was a little hesitant to do it since my left ankle has been bothering me for a while--pretty much since I started wearing minshoes when it got cold in October. My last run was the day before festivus when I did 6 miles--my farthest ever. The ankle hurt more than it had been, still a tolerable low level pain, but I figured I'd give it a rest anyway. So with a week off it felt mostly good and I thought the race would be a good test to see if I was ready to run again.

After registering, I still had some time before noon when the race starts so I took a warmup run to the house and back, stopping to get a few tissues for nose runs. I had earlier thought about changing my hoodie sweatshirt for something a little lighter but forgot all about that. It was in the low 40s and windy and most of the run would be with some tree shade so it didn't matter too much. Plus I wasn't going to really push myself much with the ankle possibly not all better. I was running in my new Stems and a few weeks ago had found them to be a little warm with socks at this temp, but I totally forgot about that too so I was wearing what I had on, which was some heavy hiking socks.

Back at the center of town I was milling about until someone called out 10 minutes to race time and everybody started walking toward the starting line, which was about 100 feet around the corner. That is to get the finish line in a common area (parking lot) off the main road. Most everybody was wearing the modern conventional running shoes--not so many of the super thick, high heeled ones some call boat anchors, although I did see some of those too. I also saw two guys with VFFs and one guy with some orange, fairly thin Merrills--trail gloves? When the horn sounded the fast runners took off up over the first hill and I didn't see them again until much later.

There was a good-sized crowd. I was about 20-30 feet back from the start and after we were all running I guessed there was about 50 people ahead of me. It stayed about like that all the way through but maybe ending with 60 ahead of me. I really didn't keep track of how many I passed and how many passed me, though both happened. I expected I would run it in about 25 minutes.

The first part of the course, maybe a 1 1/4 miles is mostly uphill. Short hill then level, repeat 4 or 5 times. At about a mile in people had settled into their positions. I had a guy behind me huffing and stomping and it sounded like he was really killing himself with this run. The second leg was gradual downhill but I didn't take off right away, I was recovering from all the uphill. After about 1/2 mile I took off and left the huffer stomper behind. The bottom of the second leg turns onto a dirt road with 3 small rolling hills. It was a little muddy from some recent rains but not really deep mud as the ground underneath was still frozen somewhat. Somewhere along this part a young girl about 10-12 years old said I was doing good--I forget the exact words. I think I remember that she was passing me. It was also somewhere along here that we started seeing some of the winners, who had finished and were running the course in reverse, giving encouraging words to those of us still plugging along. All this time I can tell my ankle is going to hurt a bit afterwards, although it never hurts much during a run.

The third leg is about 1/2 mile and back on paved road--gradual uphill, then a short steeper hill with about a 25 foot rise, then it levels off. This hill is also the sunniest, with the sun on your back. This is the first time I regretted wearing the hoodie. Near the top of the hill I walked for maybe 100 feet until I heard the huffer stomper approaching so I took off again. Sorry dude, I couldn't let you beat me.

I crossed the finish line at about 24:55, right on time. I milled about for a bit, picked up a water bottle and clapped for some runners just coming in before heading to the town hall where there was soup, orange slices and cookies. I had some cookies and orange slices and overheard someone say 180 people ran. It was another 30-40 minutes before everybody finished--there were some walkers--and they started announcing the awards. The overall winner's time was under 17 minutes.

Overall, it was a good new experience for me and I'm glad I did it.

Ha! I just checked at coolrunnings and my placement estimate (61) was right on. My full report is on my blog

I'll try to get your race

I'll try to get your race report on the home page soon.

All, submit your race reports to me for the front page at [email protected]. Pictures are great too! Thanks!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon