Paleo Questions

http://www.marksdailyapple.co

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/

And here all this time I thought I was paleo but it turns out I lean more towards the primal view. I'm a big believer that healthy fats, including saturated, should be a part of your daily diet.

Zapmamak - it's been almost a

Zapmamak - it's been almost a month - how is the Paleo going? I ask because I've been veg for 20+ years and am reading Robb Wolf's Paleo book. It's hard to argue with. Do you feel better? Were you strict? Will you continue?

Sara - Yup. I completed my 30

Sara - Yup. I completed my 30 days of Paleo. Woohoo! I'm actually going to do a more in depth review of it on my running naked blog within the next few days. I have to tell you, I was a little skeptical at first, but I love a good experiment and after completing the 30 days, I've been totally converted. Not so much because I "feel" better - to be honest I was a healthy eater before and haven't noticed epic changes in how I feel (I have had some minor annoying things like light-headedness and headache that weren't so great), HOWEVER, I have noticed some more important benefits that are worth continuing the diet.

The thing that sealed the deal was my bloodwork. Since I couldn't really "feel" the difference (except for the losing weight part, which I'm really on the fence about) I wanted to see if the diet had any impact on my overall health. I've been going through some testing, biopsies, etc... for possible breast cancer and had to do some bloodwork anyway so I was able to compare my pre-paleo numbers with my post-30-day-paleo numbers and was pleasantly surprised.

I was fairly strict for the first 30 days, for the most part. Well, I gave up the beer completely but still treated myself to a cocktail shot or two every now and then. Hey, this mama needs her cocktail! Other than that, I pretty much went cold turkey off the grains and dairy including my quinoa and flaxseed meal just to be safe (dairy was hard but I will never go back).

So in a nutshell, it was a worthwhile experiment and something I will continue to follow. Maybe not so strictly in the future. I really miss my beer! And I would like to have a treat or two every now and then (I love to bake and am working on finding some great gluten/grain free recipes) and I'm hoping to gain back just a few more pounds so I don't have to revamp my wardrobe. Ha!

zapmamak wrote:Sara - Yup. I

zapmamak said:
Sara - Yup. I completed my 30 days of Paleo. Woohoo! I'm actually going to do a more in depth review of it on my running naked blog within the next few days. I have to tell you, I was a little skeptical at first, but I love a good experiment and after completing the 30 days, I've been totally converted. Not so much because I "feel" better - to be honest I was a healthy eater before and haven't noticed epic changes in how I feel (I have had some minor annoying things like light-headedness and headache that weren't so great), HOWEVER, I have noticed some more important benefits that are worth continuing the diet.

The thing that sealed the deal was my bloodwork. Since I couldn't really "feel" the difference (except for the losing weight part, which I'm really on the fence about) I wanted to see if the diet had any impact on my overall health. I've been going through some testing, biopsies, etc... for possible breast cancer and had to do some bloodwork anyway so I was able to compare my pre-paleo numbers with my post-30-day-paleo numbers and was pleasantly surprised.

I was fairly strict for the first 30 days, for the most part. Well, I gave up the beer completely but still treated myself to a cocktail shot or two every now and then. Hey, this mama needs her cocktail! Other than that, I pretty much went cold turkey off the grains and dairy including my quinoa and flaxseed meal just to be safe (dairy was hard but I will never go back).

So in a nutshell, it was a worthwhile experiment and something I will continue to follow. Maybe not so strictly in the future. I really miss my beer! And I would like to have a treat or two every now and then (I love to bake and am working on finding some great gluten/grain free recipes) and I'm hoping to gain back just a few more pounds so I don't have to revamp my wardrobe. Ha!

I've been doing Paleo-friendlyish baking. If you friend me on FB, I have some recipes posted. I use potato flour, though, which is not really Paleo but way better than grains and I consider it more nutritious than coconut flour which is what most people use.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input Zapmamak, you sound good. Taking the proverbial bull by the horns can make all the difference. My mother survived breast cancer (almost 15 years ago) and I feel the little shadow following me around. I'll send you some good barefoot, dairy free energy for your health. Will also skulk around your blog for more details.

Be well - Sara

jschwab wrote:I've been doing

jschwab said:
I've been doing Paleo-friendlyish baking. If you friend me on FB, I have some recipes posted. I use potato flour, though, which is not really Paleo but way better than grains and I consider it more nutritious than coconut flour which is what most people use.
Jschwab - Nice! I'll look you up!

One of the things I've been

One of the things I've been searching for are eggs from pastured chickens. I've been curious if there is a difference in looks and flavors in the eggs produced by hens that are allowed to roam free and eat some bugs & grubs and such rather then the typical soy based chicken feed that is commonly used.

I've been meaning to buy some coconut oil from Tropical Traditions to try out and noticed that they sell eggs from pastured chickens. AND the chickens are fed a coconut based diet which I thought was interesting. The only problem is the smallest order is 4 dozen. I placed a purchase last week and they showed up on my doorstep last night. Guess I'm eating lots and lots of eggs over the next couple of days.

Here is their link in case anyone is interested: http://www.grassfedtraditions.com/organic_soy_free_eggs.htm

And wouldn't you know that after I place my order they place the eggs on a 40% off sale.

Shacky wrote:One of the

Shacky said:
One of the things I've been searching for are eggs from pastured chickens. I've been curious if there is a difference in looks and flavors in the eggs produced by hens that are allowed to roam free and eat some bugs & grubs and such rather then the typical soy based chicken feed that is commonly used. I've been meaning to buy some coconut oil from Tropical Traditions to try out and noticed that they sell eggs from pastured chickens. AND the chickens are fed a coconut based diet which I thought was interesting. The only problem is the smallest order is 4 dozen. I placed a purchase last week and they showed up on my doorstep last night. Guess I'm eating lots and lots of eggs over the next couple of days.Here is their link in case anyone is interested: http://www.grassfedtraditions.com/organic_soy_free_eggs.htmAnd wouldn't you know that after I place my order they place the eggs on a 40% off sale.
I've heard you can tell the difference between pastured chicken eggs and non-pastured just by looking at it. Apparently, the yolk is bigger and more orange in color in the pastured ones. The egg white is generally thicker too.

zapmamak wrote:jschwab

zapmamak said:
jschwab said:
Jschwab - Nice! I'll look you up!
Bummer. I can't find you in FB. I have a link to my FB profile here on BRS. Check my profile page. Can you friend me so we can exchange yummy recipes?

I grew up eating eggs from

I grew up eating eggs from real (range free bug eating) chickens, they are much more nutritious. It might take a little while to get used to them, the flavor can be stronger.

Here are two links to preserving fresh eggs:

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/preserving-fresh-eggs/

http://www.ochef.com/1393.htm

Chickens are the best pet

Chickens are the best pet ever. You have to clean up after them, feed and water them, but what they give you is worth all of that, plus there sh!t literally does wonders in the garden. They are a way better pet than a dog or cat.

Thanks for the links Sara.  I

Thanks for the links Sara. I had no idea that eggs had that long of a shelf life. Looks like I won't have to worry about rushing through them or about preseving them. I can easily go through a dozen a week.

I clicked on the Urban Chicken site and started to get excited about raising a few chickens. Sadly San Diego has this ordinance which rules me out:

"You can keep chickens in San Diego, but their pen must be at least 50' from any residential building"

I could do it but I'd have to tear down my dog's running lane.

I'll friend you! We have

I'll friend you! We have chickens in our back garden in the inner city of Phladelphia, almost downtown. 6 is about our max for the space and they are great.

Shacky, Ha ha! Murphy's law

Shacky,

Ha ha! Murphy's law at it finest. Happens to us all. Oooh, if it's not to late i would call them and ask for a discount on your next order since that happened to you. They may just do it. You won't know unless you ask and all they can do is say no but if you ask nice enough they likely will. By the way, how are they? i buy organic eggs at TJ's and they are good. I bought some at a giant grocer the other week for convenience and was just disgusted with the taste. I can't believe i used to eat so many of those. I use to buy eggs froma farm years ago but no longer drive out that far and chickens at an apartment is not an option especially when my dog is more paleo than me.

Zap,

Congrats. I want to be more paleo but work in a Greek restaurant were they feed me free food, mostly pasta. I say this as i'm looking at some sweet potato noodles i just made yesterday and i'm thinking i will start bagging some of them and use them at work instead of pasta. I know it's not considered paleo but i also don't believe our ancestors weren't digging in the ground for food. Besides, my native side has been eating potatos for thousands of years so i will eat them too. I also will not give up my corn tortillas and beans. When my mom moved us here to Oregon to be close to her family i was finally exposed to real Mexican food and there's a lot i won't give up.

Dairy was also hard, especially cheese so good for you. People look at me like i just told them i killed my dog when i say i don't do dairy. It's such a hard concept for people to understand. It's easy for me now but it's in so many things it can be hard.

Mike

It klled me to give up dairy,

It klled me to give up dairy, but I developed an anaphylactic allergy (throat closes) to it. That made it easy to give up for good, but I still miss it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts