New Runner, Charleston SC

mcnealyj

Barefooters
Sep 5, 2011
Hello fellow runners.

Im a new barefoot runner living in Charleston SC. I run as much as I can bare but mostly I run in VFF's. As a shod runner I was constantly plagued with shin splints. After trying many different shoes, exercises, and medical remedies, I decided to try barefoot running. So far things are going great for my shins. My calfs are sore but i'm taking things slowly and that will go with time.

I am currently training for a 5 mile USMC mud run mid-October. Im a week into my bare/VFF training. At this point Im at one mile and i'm planing on increasing that a little every day (at least while i still feel pretty good) till I make the 5 mile mark.

Im open for any advice I can get that you think can help. If you know exercises that can help my feet/calfs, or good barefoot running spots in the Charleston area please let me know.

thanks

J

J, that seems like a large

J, that seems like a large goal for just five weeks, barefoot, minshod, or traditionally shod (tradshod? ha! I just made that one up!). You're increasing a mile per week. If you can do it, kudos to you. But if you start having problems, please reconsider and think about setting a new goal for next year. This isn't the only race out there, and this isn't the only mud run race series out there. There will be more. Are you planning to run the USMC barefoot or in VFFs?

Thanks for the concern. I

Thanks for the concern. I plan on keeping that pace up *only* while things are going so well. If my calfs start to get to tight Ill tone down the runs till they get more comfortable. The group in running with only has completion as a goal, for now, so I can take it nice and slow. I tend to try to run through the pain in most cases so this time im trying to listen to my body more and not hurt my self.

I have never done the mud run before so im planing in using the VFF's till I get a feel for the terrane (or going "tradshod" if my body starts informing me im going too fast on the conversion). But bare foot with all the mud sounds like fun :).

Welcome to the family, J. 

Welcome to the family, J. Take it slow and steady, and be very cautious about running through pain. As a converting runner after 25 years of heel-striking, long-striding shod running I did not follow my own advice and bought myself a stress fractured left foot. Slow and steady. The older you are the slower you convert in my experience. Enjoy!

Phil

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7