New never-runner from San Francisco -- need advice!

evergreen

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2013
Hi, all!

I've never been a runner (running has never felt good to me) but recently joined a clinical research study looking at exercise habits in non-exercisers. After a ChiRunning introductory course on Saturday, we're on our own to start a gradual exercise program. Yesterday was my first run -- 1 minute running, 3 minutes walking, x 5. I've got a plan to gradually increase the amount of running, but that's not really the focus of my question. :)

Because I'm an information person myself, I kept reading more about ChiRunning, then midfoot running, then barefoot running and the science/anatomy behind them. There's a lot of logic behind barefoot and, while I'm not quite brave enough to run without any sort of protection, I am thinking about running in minimalist shoes.

My running shoes, which I bought, hm, probably 4 or 5 years ago and have seldom used, are motion control WITH inserts. They have a lot of wear on the outside of the sole (i.e., oversupinating!) probably because I didn't know what i was doing. I videoed myself running along a hallway in my house, barefoot, and I mildly overpronate, left foot worse than right, when barefoot. I have no foot problems, and I'm 5'10"/130lbs/30 years old, so not a lot of baseline issues. I do feel that, based on what I've read online and what the soles of my shoes show, I shouldn't be running in such high-rise, thick-soled, motion control shoes, and will buy a new pair of shoes soon.

I can't seem to find information on starting running -- i.e., I've never even run a mile and will be run/walking for many weeks as I build up my cardiovascular fitness -- with minimalist shoes. Everyone warns you about switching suddenly from regular shoes to minimalist/barefoot if you're already a runner, but I'm (emphatically) not. Can I just start off in minimalist shoes?

Any thoughts/hints/suggestions? Or any threads that are relevant? I've tried all the tricks I can think of but haven't been able to find advice on the board for a brand-new-to-running runner.

Thanks in advance! :)

I don't know if there is any singular or certain answer to your question(s).

Based upon my own experience, I very much recommend that you consider doing barefoot as much as possible. It may be the best teacher, because even thin minimalist shoes or sandals can allow errors in form to go unnoticed. I also think it can be a very good idea if someone first transitions to walking around barefoot as much as possible because that helps to prepare the soles of the feet. But not everyone has done it like that.

Also, here's the really beautiful thing, possibly. For me, I find the nerve stimulation I get while running barefoot to be much greater and enjoyable than when I'm using my pair of Xeros. It's a much different experience running soles to the ground versus something in between the soles and the ground. I rather love the feeling of running barefoot, it makes me happy.

I started running from scratch and did it 100% barefoot. Still running un-injured and it's been almost four years now. I've coached several others from non-running to running exclusively barefoot and each one has had similar results. New runners and barefoot running are a perfect match.

Yes, you can start running for the "first" time in minshoes. It would be best to start barefoot, and more fun, but if you can't or won't then minshoes is the next best thing; socks are even better.

What brands of minshoes are you looking at. You can get some good recommendations if you post in the Gear & Footwear forum.

Welcome!

Reactions: dharmadan
Thanks so much for all your replies! Really appreciate your help; I'll read through some of the gear forum and see if the question's been answered, and definitely post if I can't figure it out. Looking forward to getting started! :)

Reactions: dharmadan
i think it takes more courage to run in shoes. they're heavy, too tight, raised heels, too much cushion and other stuff that deaden the senses. so many injured runners out there and shoes can be the root of the problem. you don't have to run bf all the time but learning it first and using it as a training tool will be one of the best things you can do. don't neglect strength training either.

New runners and barefoot running are a perfect match.
Totally agree. You're lucky you're just starting out, with no expectations. Your soles will be able to dictate how far you can run at first, just as much as your legs and lungs. Run a few blocks, walk a bit, repeat. Gradually increase distance. Stop running at the first sign of strain, rest or reduce. Roll, massage, and stretch your legs as needed. And like Mike says, a little strength training will help too.

I'm also someone who has just started learning to run. I started by walking in minimalist shoes and then barefoot. Then running in minimalist shoes then barefoot. You need to retrain your feet and legs to get used to using muscles not used so much when you wear shoes, and you need to do this over a number of months

Well, I finished work a little early today and went to a local running specialty store (See Jane Run, www.seejanerun.com) that was on the way home, and walked out with a pair of much more minimalist/barefoot-adjacent shoes than I'd thought I would. I felt like the neutral/4mm-ish drop shoes the associate started me off in were too cushioned, and the Nike Frees as well, and ended up with a pair of Merrell Road Glove Dash 2's after trying on 9 or 10 other pairs.

I realized that the barefoot-adjacent shoes felt familiar to me since my favorite sneakers, which I've been wearing most days for a couple years on my 5-10 minute walk to/from the bus for work, are New Balance CW442s. Thin-soled, no padding to speak of, flexible. The most-minimal shoes just felt the most familiar and comfortable; hopefully my to-the-bus shoes have prepared me to start run/walking with the Road Gloves! So, with appropriate caution to starting off with min shoes (sorry, migangelo, TJ, Longboard, Scratch, I just can't do barefoot running in my neighborhood, but I'll take all the other opportunities for barefootness that I can!), I'll start my gradual walking+a-little-bit-of-running program and see how it goes! Thanks for everyone's kind responses above. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7