New member, new barefoot runner!

flangenimblick

Barefooters
Aug 28, 2011
Hi all!

As the title says, I'm a new member to this forum and a new runner; I'm looking to learn all I can about this glorious activity so I can apply it to all aspects of my life! No small feat I know, but that's what makes it so exciting! :d

A little bit about me: I'm a British citizen who's been living in South Africa all my life and as of next Friday (9 September) I'll be living in Scotland studying an MSc in African Studies at Edinburgh University. Very excited for that as well :p

As for running, I never took it seriously until this year, even though I did plenty of it in various sports when I was younger. Owing to laziness in high school and a car accident in 2006, I got very unfit and unhealthy, but thanks to pilates, I've recovered well enough to be able to pick up running properly and I'm also changing my overall lifestyle to a healthier, more active one.

I've been running on and off for a few months (on and off due to my job at the time which required lots of travelling), but once I am settled in Edinburgh I'll be able to do it more regularly. Currently I'm up to 3.2kms/2miles in 30 minutes, which isn't much, but better than anything I have been able to do before!

I run barefoot and t it is a style that works for me. Growing up in a semi-rural town, being barefoot is very normal, and doing most sports barefoot is also the norm. When I started running seriously earlier this year, in shoes, I suddenly started suffering from overpronation. I went to a podiatrist, who gave me shoe inserts, but this didn't help at all. So, reflecting on how I ran before that, I decided to go barefoot, and ever since I have had no problems and it felt as good and normal as it did when I was a kid. I did and still do most things barefoot, only wearing shoes when necessary, so I don't know why I decided to run in shoes in the first place.

I've also just finished reading the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall, which I have no doubt most of you have heard of or read, and it really inspired me to push my running abilities. As such, I'm eager to learn as much as I can and really up my running ability and improve myself in every way possible :)

I have a few questions as well, which I have posted here: http://barefootrunners.org/forum-topic/questions-new-barefoot-runner

Thanks very much for letting me join this awesome forum :D

PS, you pronounce the name flange-nim-blick (there's a story behind that name, but that's for another thread ;))

I did and still do most

I did and still do most things barefoot, only wearing shoes when necessary, so I don't know why I decided to run in shoes in the first place.

I think most of us struggle with this realization as well, so you're in good company. ;-)

Glad you are onto healthier, happier living and running. Welcome!

FreeYourToes

FreeYourToes said:

Barefoot TJ said:
I did and still do most things barefoot, only wearing shoes when necessary, so I don't know why I decided to run in shoes in the first place.

I think most of us struggle with this realization as well, so you're in good company. ;-)

Glad you are onto healthier, happier living and running. Welcome!

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks! Good to be here :)

Hi! Thanks :)   Haha! You'd

Hi! Thanks :) Haha! You'd be surprised at how many people run screaming when they see me running down the road, lad coat flapping in the wind and goggles menacingly darkened :p But the one's who see that I'm also barefoot, they sprint! ;p

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7