Lifting the feet: Good for beginning, optional later?

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Either I am lifting my feet and it just comes completely natural now and I don't even know it, or I am pushing off.

This goes back to the post about speed. When I want to run faster barefoot I know I am pushing off a bit, but it feels perfect. In fact I think I am running the way I did shod, but without the heel strike. I used to get this tiny little hot spot on both of my big toes, but doesn't happen anymore. Running uphill I now push off as well, I used to do the whole "image you are stepping over a log" thought process but I moved away from that. I love running uphill and pushing off is most effective for me, again no blisters or hot spot issues.

I have started to open up my stride a bit because I have somwhat long legs and being in a little pocket of small steps feels extremely confining.

The lifting of the feet seems like something you need to do when you first start running barefoot, but as time goes on I don't think the lifting rule is necessary.

Any thoughts?

Adam,IMO that is fairly

Adam,

IMO that is fairly normal and okay. Lifting/pulling the foot up and under the body does and can fade into the background of perception so to speak. I am of the opinion that it is the key action component thus can't be totally left alone. Kind of like driving a car. I can text and read the phone for a short while but if I were to get totally lost in the phone I would indeed crash :)

Adam, Oh..and another

Adam,

Oh..and another thing. You may actually be to confined and restricting your range of motion. So, it may be a good thing for you to let it open up. Hard to say for sure without seeing some video of your run though.

Perhaps you have strengthened

Perhaps you have strengthened parts of your legs differently than you did shod, and you no longer need to lift as much. Coming off of surgery, my legs are weaker now from inactivity. I am not lifting as well as I used to, and I need to.

Perhaps you have totally found your stride and conditioned your body and your plantar skin to the point that you can add a little more force than others.

Regardless, lifting your feet as if you are stepping over logs while running up hills is definitely a good beginner's drill.

Barefootandagel:   Great

Barefootandagel: Great analogy with the car, very true.

TJ: I think you nailed it with your response.

Btw I am just sharing some personal information on what I am learning on my barefoot running journey. What implies for me may not for others. Definitly stick with the basics and set your foundation first.