Is coconut water good for hydration?

skedaddle

Barefooters
Sep 3, 2011
Hi people

I'm heading into the half marathon territory in my training now and need to start thinking about better hydration.

Is coconut water a good choice? I eat a whole food diet where possible, so sports drinks i would like to shy away from.

BTW did my first barefoot run today, only for a mile or so, in the middle of my session. Got my first barefoot run shocked look from a dogwalker too.

I feel the hip's coming back to my hop, or my hop's catching up with my hip, not sure which yet ;) Either way i enjoyed my first forray, my form didn't change much so i was glad about that, just need to get the pads of my feet to toughen up a bit and there'll be no stopping me.

I know "Bear Grylls" and

I know "Bear Grylls" and "Survivor man" tout the electrolyte properties of cocconut milk on their shows, but also usually caution about it's laxitive properties as well.

Maybe squeeze your own lemonade, watered down lemonade goes down real well for me, or tea with a lemon squirt, or plain water and a bannana.

Coconut water is a great

Coconut water is a great hydrator, but I agree with Shaun. Too much of it is going to upset your stomach.

I follow the paleo diet pretty strickly, so I tend to use coconut water before and after my runs. During I use electrolyte replacement caps like nuun with water. Even though they are a processed product, all they really are is salt and electrolytes. Stuff like that won't hurt you.

I prefer coconut water over

I prefer coconut water over sports drinks for my longer training runs and races. Do a google search and sort through it. I have had success with the ISO5 products without any of the laxitive issues mentioned.

Have you thought about chia

Have you thought about chia and orange juice? Chia helps you to retain fluid, so you don't dehydrate as quickly, and orange juice provides energy.

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Most of the routs i run are very hilly, so i tend to sweat a lot. I thought there must be a downside to coconut water, just seemed too good to be true, but i'll certainly give it a try.

Never thought of using chia seeds, do they have any electrolite properties or are they just used to retain water?

Tested the coconut water out

Tested the coconut water out today on a 15mile run. Temperature in the early eighties. Drank water every two miles for the first ten, started to cramp a bit in my left leg so broke out the coconut water, within a few minutes if felt hydrated, the cramp had gone and i happily ran another 5 miles.

No laxitive issues when running, but i did need the loo when i got home after eating two apples and downing a pint of chocolate oat milk.

Hope that helps someone.

Sounds good.  I think the

Sounds good. I think the chia basically helps you hold onto water, so you don't dehydrate as quickly. Not sure about the eletrolyte properties. Maybe someone else can chime in. I do know that Christopher McDougall over-embelished their "energy" qualities big-time in BTR. Now, as far as laxative issues, lots of people say that they acquire the runner's runs for the first few uses until their bodies get used to it, so be fore-warned. ;-)

From my understanding Chia

From my understanding Chia seeds have very small amounts of electrolytes. I have read that some peope make Iskiate (chia fresca) and add a little bit of table salt for electorlytes. The energy qualities of Iskiate were definatley over-embellised in BTR as TJ noted.

I normally use a few tsp of

I normally use a few tsp of chia with gaitoraid before a run, especially in the heat. I don't usually need water for anything less than 5 miles, even when it's 100deg out with enough chia and gaitoraid/water.

I just tried the Generation UCAN for the first time today...LOVE IT!!! I'm hooked! Gaitoraid out, UCAN in!

-Jonny

Thanks peopleAs an

Thanks people

As an experiment i took a comercial energy/electrolite drink with me today, and i can say with hand on heart that the coconut water suited me much better. I also had a shock when i rinsed out the energy drink bottle and found it stained with colouring, never again.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon