I Did It!

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Sure I've been a member of the SBL for close to a decade, but I believe it is the confidence I gained since I became a barefoot runner thanks to this forum and the other one TJ was responsible for that allowed me to reach a pinnacle of sorts in my barefoot adventures Saturday night.

Acustomed now to the attention given to me by runners, photographers, and the press ever since I began barefoot running a year and a half or so ago, I've learned to soak in the AW experience rather than shy away.

When a Facebook site dedicated to the planning of my high school reunion displayed a link to photos from an online paper showing me, my name, and my feet at a 5K (now how in the world did they get that?) what could possibly have held me back?

Just returned from the 40'th reunion, of 500 grads over 200 showed up with at least as many spouses/dates/partners/teachers to the upscale suburban hotel venue.

Did'nt even bring shoes in the car for the 45 minute drive.

Felt relaxed the whole time, and I believe the confidence gained from barefoot racing in front of a curious crowd sealed the deal for me.

I'll never regret the choice.

I am literally choked up,

I am literally choked up, Board. Not sure why, but I have a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. Stories like yours (and Bruno's) keep me going. When I'm feeling the workload, your stories lift me up and reassure me that we are doing the right thing here. Thank you for being a part of the bigger picture!

Oh, and do you have any

Oh, and do you have any pictures of your reunion? Tux and no shoes?

No tux, no pix.Plenty were

No tux, no pix.

Plenty were taken by others, if any pop up on the reunion site I'll be sure to post.

One guy took a shot of me with some girls that would NEVER have talked with me back in the day,

and I saw him deliberatly moving back to widen the field which could only have been an attemp to include my feet.

Sure enough, he showed me the screen seconds later and smiled as I cleary saw my feet in view.

It should become available, if not I know who he is.

First time he ever got that close to those girls as well, life can be even more fun as you age.

Some pics are starting to pop

Some pics are starting to pop up on FB, and there's even comments on my bare feet. Also comments saying that maybe BF is the way to go. Of COURSE I sent those folks BRS links!

I LOVE this picture of you,

I LOVE this picture of you, Board. Hip and cool and at 58!

And who's feet look happier?

And who's feet look happier?

Well, yours, of course!  [We

Well, yours, of course! [We need a happy feet smiley.]

Confidence comes from knowing

Confidence comes from knowing without a doubt what you are capable of. It's great to see such confidence in you, and it surely has come in handy dealing with your dad's situation. Well-founded confidence inspires greatness in yourself and in others. It is usually that secret ingredient in "charisma" or "natural leadership" or whatever other buzzword you want to use for that aura that makes people attractive and interesting to us. You're a great example!

Phil

First TJ was choked up and

First TJ was choked up and lump-throated, and now Phil's making me "verklempt".

Talk amongst yourselves.........

Seriously Phil, I understand what you're saying but never really thought about it that way before.

I'd love to think that my barefoot confidence had something to do with it, but just yesterday for the first time

the prosecutor contacted me with news of a possible restitution in exchange for leniency deal. Still a first degree felony conviction, but probation rather than prison. She would lose everything if she ever got caught doing it again, so it's not like she's free to scam someone else. But my father would regain a portion (far from all though) of his life savings to assist in his comfort in his twilight years.

Dad's doing great and will be spending the next few weeks with my sister in the S.F. bay area.