Hi from North Texas

dgrichmond

Barefooters
Apr 29, 2011
Hi, All,

Very new to this and haven't even really started running yet. Just getting back into shape after too long being a couch potato. My wife and I have been hitting the gym. Our routine was interrupted by the arrival of our daughter (adopted). We got back to the gym recently after she hit six months old and could go to the childcare area.

I recently purchased some VivoBarefoot Evo IIs for the gym and really like them.

I've always loved going barefoot, but had a very disapproving mom and Texas-German grandmother who managed to build into me a major phobia of being seen outside (or sometimes even inside) in my bare feet. It's been a long time overcoming and I'm not there yet, to be honest.

My wife and I have gone on some barefoot walks. She enjoyed it overall, except that she had surgery on both feet when she was younger. As a result, she's rather sensitive to sensations that most people would enjoy. With our busy lives, made even busier by the arrival of baby, we haven't been able to get out to the park and go barefoot enough to really get our feet in shape.

Thanks and blessings,

Dave in North Texas

welcome! not that im some old

welcome! not that im some old established member! but WELCOME! its always nice to get a welcome! where in texas?

again, welcome!
AA(Aaron)

Welcome, Dave!  The more you

Welcome, Dave! The more you go barefoot in public, the easier it gets, and the less you feel self-conscious or care about what others think. It's quite liberating actually. Do continue to build up gradually, and when you're ready to take your first barefoot run, keep the distance low (1/4 mile maybe), and be sure to ask us lots of questions.

Oh no.

Oh no.

Unless that's what brought

Unless that's what brought you here, of course. ;-)

Welcome, Dave.  Stick with it

Welcome, Dave. Stick with it slow and steady to build up both your soles and the muscles and connecting tissues that have atrophied over their years confined in heavy shoes. This is a great place to get answers from tons of experienced BFRers. Enjoy!

Phil

That was actually one of the

That was actually one of the better interviews on that show. It was short, informative, and I believe it was accessible to most people who might be new to the idea.

In order to win more people over to the idea of running / walking / going barefoot, it's important to have a compelling argument AND to come across as a reasonable, sane, approachable person. I tend to think some of the people in the barefoot movement act a bit freakishly, and I don't see how that's winning support.

Dave

Hey, fellow North Texan!You

Hey, fellow North Texan!
You look into the couch to 5K program at all? There is an Android ap and I think one for the iPhone. You can also check it out free on the net. I think it's an 8wk program designed to get you running 3.1miles from couch potato status. Haller if you hit any races. The wife and I are running the Firefly race around EDS from the shops at legacy June 4th.
See ya round.

-Jonny

Texas... land of blues,

Texas... land of blues, rattle snake boots and belt buckles ... dig it. Welcome!

And I understand about the 'stigma' of bare feet. I think it's a remnant of a prior era of castes, classes and social hierarchy. The poor couldn't afford shoes, and I think that stuck in our collective consciousness.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7