Hello from Wales

tavis69

Barefooters
Nov 8, 2010
Hi, I've just joined the BRS after a few months of minimal / barefoot running, and about 5 years running total. I've tried barefoot and still want to continue building up miles in bare feet, but most of my runs are in naughty Chinese fake Vibrams. I have 4 pairs, run mostly in the Bikila version although I find them too painful for stony footpaths. I live in Newport, South Wales so there is plenty of opportunity for varied running, from nearly flat canal- and river-side running, to fell-like conditions and everything in between.

I've found that the Vibrams, in my experience, allow you to build up speed and distance "too early" in the transition, and so I'm mindful to control the miles I do. I got over some mild ITBS, and now have a slight tendonitis on my left inner ankle, but i mostly manage to run through such minor setbacks.

I'm planning to use the nice flat smooth pavement/sidewalk circuit near work for lunchtime BF runs, hopefully build up some distance.

Welcome, Tavis.  Keep

Welcome, Tavis. Keep listening to your body, don't push it, and you will get there much quicker than if you did not listen to your body.

Thanks TJ. It's difficult to

Thanks TJ. It's difficult to stop running when slight problems occur though, but so far I am succeeding in regulating my running appropriately. I believe that BF running would achieve this better, but at 5am on streets littered with twigs and stones it's not going to happen. My tendonitis is not major, so I'm going to reduce the distance and speed of my runs, plus introduce more BF running, and perhaps try running more often for less distance. I was up to 7 miles but I think that was pushing it, so this morning's run was a leisurely 4 miles.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7