Hello from the wandering Canuck

Linus

Barefooters
Apr 22, 2011
So I figured it may be time to de-lurk a bit and introduce myself. My name is Linus. I am a Canuckian living in Los Angeles. I do not miss the cold and snow (mostly when I lived in Ottawa since Toronto never really got snow, even when the Army was called in). I've lived in the US (NYC and Los Angeles) for about 4 years now.

And I will admit it. I hate running. Absolutely abhor it. I love riding my bicycle, however, great distances. So why join here? Welp.

A friend of mine has been using running as a way to lose weight (an activity I need to resume doing). And she was using running as her main form of exercise. As much as I love bicycling (have I mentioned that already?), it's hard sometimes with my line of work (I'm a senior technical trainer for a very well known "scaring the crap out of Microsoft" virtualization company) as I tend to travel a lot (sometimes I may be stationary at home for a few months but often can be on the road for 3-4 weeks out of a month at a time.

So.. I thought, why not try running again. But I decided to investigate it more. At a mere 41 years of age, the ol' bod is creakin' and crackin' more than usual. Like many I decided to investigate shoes (HORRORS!) to wear while running, particularly with a cranky back and cranky knees (all those years stopping pucks, eh?). Someone had suggested these silly toed "shoes" (VFF) and I figured why not.

For the first time ever, I actually enjoyed running. How novel!

Last summer, when I was still living in NYC (until Sept 2010), I did nearly 3 months of running every other day and actually really enjoyed it. I have no interest in marathons or races or whatever. I just like enjoying what I'm doing and seeing what's around me. When I moved to Redondo Beach (Los Angeles area), I got back into a weird travel schedule but want to get back into running and cycling again. Next year I have a Vancouver, B.C. to Los Angeles solo bicycle tour planned but I'm contemplating that if I can enjoy running long and barefoot (actual barefoot and not necessarily VFF, if I can ever stop being wussy about it! :bigsmile: ) perhaps I'll plan a "tour" around running, maybe L.A. to San Diego and back.

Anyways, so I'm still reading the Barefoot Step-by-Step and will be gradually doing more barefoot stuff (i.e., taking our pugs out for walk) but I'm gearing up to running (after recoverying from surgery in May -- hoping to start in June). :)

I'm pretty open about who I am so if anyone has questions... ask away.

First, welcome!  I'm one of

First, welcome! I'm one of the newer folks, greeting people like I've been here forever. LOL

So as a rabid Linux user/advocate, I hope you can appreciate the flutter in my heart when you introduce yourself as "Linus" and you're involved with a very well known company that's scaring the crap out of Microsoft. My first thought is: "OMG, Linus Torvalds is a barefoot runner!"

So... VMWare?

(sorry to be so off topic)

Quit bein' a wuss... take 'em off!
wink_smile.gif

LOL.. I'm working on the

LOL.. I'm working on the wussy part. I swear.

And it is VMware. :) I do love what I do and the stuff we make... Although I will admit to having some leanings to Linux, I'm more of a Mac-head.

Novell was my passion at one

Novell was my passion at one time. Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! I

Thanks for the welcome!

I do recall causing a few Novell servers to "abend" at one time or another way back when. :bigsmile:

Yes, I know...way back when. 

Yes, I know...way back when. When? Way back.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7