Hello from Portugal

Sly

Chapter Presidents
Oct 8, 2013
Vila Nova de Milfontes, Portugal
Hi there !

I'm very excited to arrive on this forum. Here I'm sure I'm gonna find inspiration, tips and feel less alone.

Lets' start with a short story of my life :

I'm Sylvain, 29 years old.

I was born barefoot (I know cause I saw the pictures), in Paris, France. So, very early I learned to use this fantastic tool called shoe. At 20 years old I was in loooooove with my Adidas Gazelle, I understood they were helping me a lot to keep self-confidence while dating girls.

In 2009, because of a job opportunity I arrived in a small village of Portugal, far away from everything. Cause there is nothing to do here, I started to run half-marathons. In 2011, whitout knowing why nor how, I tried to run barefoot during 4 months, and gave up suddenly because my feet were hurting a lot (I was doing it wrong) and because girls were thinking I was stupid. I lost a lot of self-confidence. So I ran with shoes again, but it was too late, local girls already knew I was dumb.

In march 2013, I ran another half-marathon (1h42) with a friend of mine, the guy was wearing Luna Sandals. He gave me this book called Born to Run, right after reading it I bought the Ken Bob Saxton one, and understood why I was doing it so wrong 2 years ago.

In october, I ran my first barefoot half-marathon, faster than ever (1h29), oh man I felt so happy. I felt for the first time I was respecting my body, I was doing things with it, for it, a mind and a body re-united. I'm doing a lot of yoga for 2 years now, and I feel there is a connection.

Well, to be honest, I didnt like the last 2 kilometers of the race and had to stay focused on the white line, my feet werent ready for it. I had one blister on the longest toe.

I used to post on a french running forum, but I feel no connection with the community anymore. People spend more time speaking about shoes, personal records and painful marathons, than form, diet, philosophy.

That's why I come here today, I want to run the perfect barefoot half-marathon, and I want to meet people able to tell me "yes you can run a whole BF marathon without any pain", cause I'm still far away from such a result.

Thank you !!!

Sly:

It has been my experience that girls will always think you're stupid based on the fact that you are a man, no matter what you have on your feet. But you're a handsome guy and an athlete as well, so I think you'll do all right. You can always paint shoes on the tops of your feet if it might help with your "ladies man" reputation. I never had such a reputation, and so didn't have to worry.

Welcome to the crew. We're glad to have you here, and I think as Mike said that you'll find lots of similar spirits here who can also provide good advice from their deep experience. There are also some class-A nut cases here too, but you'll figure out soon enough which ones of us those are. Impressive half-marathon time for anyone, but especially BF!

Most of us seem to have gravitated here because we were interested in life-long and -wide health and fitness (mental fitness not necessarily included). In fact, many of us like me came here with injuries looking for ways to run after we'd spent a few decades trashing our bodies unwittingly. This is a great place to hang out and learn, and it's a great group of folks who are unpretentious and always willing to help, share, and laugh with you. Enjoy!

Phil

thanks !

painting Nike Air Jordan is a great idea indeed, I should think more about it
this girls story was more a joke than anything (even if based on true feelings). However, I forgot to mention that my trainings also gave me the chance to know a lovely barefoot lady, wich is not a detail !
But its true that in a small portuguese village, you're the freak. I indeed do have the good weather, but still looking for friends.

thanks again, very happy to discover this community !

What a coincidence?! I too was born barefoot!

Welcome! Glad you found us too, that is, glad to have you here with us. :barefoot:

Welcome Sly!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7