Hello from Fabulous Las Vegas

roberekson

Barefooters
Oct 28, 2010
Okay, so maybe it's not so fabulous when you actually live here, but it sounded good :).

I'm Rob and I'm a barefoot runner. This sounds like an AA meeting all of a sudden, doesn't it?

Anyway, here's a bit of my story. I used to run a lot in high school (I was on the soccer team), including a nightly 5-miler between my junior and senior year. At the beginning of each soccer season I'd get mild shin splints, but they'd always go away. Fast forward about 7 years, including 7 years of a desk job (I'm a web developer by trade), and I wanted to take up running again. I started running 2 to 3 miles and absolutely hated it the entire time, and ended up getting shin splints so bad I was forced to give up running completely. During this time, I paid about $300 for custom orthotics, had a shot of something (I forget the name, but it starts with a 'D') from my podiatrist to help with the pain, and went to a specialized running store, where I was videotaped running on a treadmill and sold some fancy "motion control" shoes for my overpronation problems. After buying the new shoes and orthotics, I actually got shin splints even worse than I'd ever had them!

Two years later (about 3 months ago), I decided it was time to start running again, so I started running a hill that we have by our house and for the moment didn't have issues with shin splints, but I knew they'd pop up again and I was dreading them, since I had decided it would be my last shot at this whole running thing. Well, one morning I was at the top of the hill resting (it's about a 900 ft. ascent) when I got to talking to a guy wearing a pair of old Nike Free 5.0s. I was familiar with the Frees, and wanted to buy some, as I had read the article years ago by Chris McDougall which was basically a preview of Born to Run. By this point however, I had forgotten about the book and about the whole barefoot concept in general, until this guy reminded me of them, talking about how much it changed his life. So, since I was going on a week vacation to the beach a couple weeks later, I bought the book, planning to read it while I was there. Needless to say, I dug into it before we left for the vacation, completely changed my running form (became a forefoot striker, rather than heel striking) and, most importantly, learned to run for fun and enjoying it instead of dreading it as some form of torturous exercise. At this point, the only running shoes I had were my old "motion control" Sauconys that I hated, so I started running in them. Needless to say, when running with a forefront strike, these just ended up making my knees uncomfortable, so while we were on vacation I picked up a pair of Nike Free 3.0s and was blissfully on my way to enjoying running. I still had small bouts of shin pain as I learned the proper form (I hadn't gone barefoot yet), but I was on the right path.

So here I am 2 months later, and I'm running either barefoot, or in my Free 3.0s, MT-100s (for trail running), or Vibram Bikilas (about once a week, easing my way into them). I've ran one 5K in my Bikilas and loved it, and I'm planning on a 10K this month (November) in them. I've ran long distances in them (at a 10-minute pace) so far and been fine, but I haven't ran long distances consistently (more than once per week), so I'm pacing myself. I'm well aware of TMTS...luckily, I've always loved being barefoot so I rarely wore shoes, except when I was running....I'd even go barefoot at work by kicking off my flip flops.

So here I am now, thoroughly enjoying running, becoming borderline addicted to it (maybe this should be a support group after all?), and running my first half marathon in December (the Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas Marathon, December 5th), where I'm planning on hitting a sub-2:00 time.

Welcome, Rob!  This is a

Welcome, Rob! This is a support group. That is the main intention of the BRS. Glad you're here.

Do you know anything about Drupal, by chance?

Barefoot TJ wrote:Do you know

Barefoot TJ said:
Do you know anything about Drupal, by chance?

And here I thought TJ was going to turn me on to a med I wasn't aware of!

During this time, I paid about $300 for custom orthotics, had a shot of something (I forget the name, but it starts with a 'D') from my podiatrist to help with the pain,

I was thinking Dexamethasone, AKA steroidal antiinflamatory which it probably was, but thought TJ was ahead of the curve with this Drupal stuff.

O.K., now I get it, open source software and all that.

TRS's yesterday, Drupal today, between T.J. and my kids (adults I guess, they voted today!) I'll always keep up with the latest.

Rob said he worked with web

Rob said he worked with web development, so I thought I would ask for his help. Hey, I typed that with my speech recognition software!

Hi Rob.Now that we're past

Hi Rob.

Now that we're past the AA start, welcome to the crew. I also just recently started. You're wise to take it slowly, as my unwise experience resulting in a left foot stress fracture attests. Enjoy, and keep listening to your feet feedback as the best gauge for what's too much.

TJ, I've never worked with

TJ, I've never worked with Drupal, but I'm a PHP developer by trade, so I could figure it out. I've ran forums before too (one with about 35,000 members when I sold it), so I can give you a hand.

Longboard, that might have been it. I saved the paper from it so I could get the name if I needed to. I do remember that it killed all the hair in the area, discolored the skin, and even ate away either the fat that was there, or atrophied the muscle, as there was a "dip" in my leg where he injected it. Needless to say, I'll never get that crap shot into my body again.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I look forward to (hopefully) being able to contribute here.

Rob, could you please email

Rob, could you please email your phone number and a good time to call you to [email protected]. Thanks.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon