Hello from Brooklyn

technophobe

Barefooters
Aug 20, 2013
My account was approved earlier today so I suppose that I should stop lurking and say "hello".
I went for my first BF run today after a couple of walks last week (one down Park Avenue during the Summer Streets event!) and a walk/run at the beach this past weekend (a short part was asphalt, though). Not a long run; I'm trying to avoid BRES and TMTS :)
http://runkeeper.com/user/346874908/activity/228915720

I'm still getting over some social anxiety about being out there barefoot, which is uncharacteristic for me. Reading through your experiences on other threads helped, so I thought I'd share my own from today: almost completely uneventful. I accidentally surprised a couple people by coming past silently, a few people watched as I passed but otherwise I did not catch scornful glances or hear snide (or positive) remarks.

I've not historically been much of a runner. I ran track in high school but repeatedly injured my IT band and gave it up for swimming. A few years ago, I got serious(-ish) about cycling, eventually progressing to Cat 3 amateur racing on road and track. I really love riding and commute about 20km daily. Running has always seemed like a an elusive activity for me. It's never captured my enjoyment like riding has, but the simplicity of running has continued to be alluring. Barefoot is my attempt to address form issues which have prevented me from enjoying running is the past.

I've read several of the popular BF running books and will be looking through the forums for other good info on technique. Today's run resulted in a couple hotspots and a nice blood blister on my big toe, but otherwise things feel fine (arches, ankles, calves, knees are alright). I'm taking tomorrow off and will go again on Friday, hopefully after some analysis about my form that can be tuned to avoid a repeat of today's blister. (Thinking that my cadence was too low -see attached screenshot- and that I was pushing off too much with my left foot).

Anyway, it's nice to see this community; it will be a helpful reminder when having all the skeptical conversations I'll likely be having.

Cheers!
-Robert

Attachments

• barefoot running cadence.png
    barefoot running cadence.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 12
Welcome!

Nice Robert! I too had gotten into cycling before I got back into running. Now I think I've been running again nearly 3 years. Good luck and just keep it fun and easy at first and you may find a love for it like you do for cycling.

Hi Robert,
Welcome! The natives in Brooklyn are mostly friendly though I was yelled at last Saturday, as I ran along Flatbush, for being barefoot.
Take it easy and have fun!

Welcome!

You're in a good place here-welcome!!

Thank you for all the welcoming messages and well-wishes.

Went for another run today, just about 12 min. Avoided a repeat of the blister from before but developed hotspots elsewhere. Going to review the form and technique literature before Sunday's run. Again, arches, knees, ankles, calves all feel fine.

Got my first comment today! At the end of my run a heavyset man running (plodding a bit) towards me pointed to my feet and exclaimed, "now that's tough!" and smiled. I replied "Thanks! It's pretty easy." (I was going pretty slowly). I'm still having trouble getting motivated to get out the door...maybe the memory of this will help next time. :)

-r

Have been away for a few weeks.

Another bike rider clipped my handlebars while he recklessly tried to pass three abreast down the Manhattan bridge then rode off and left me bleeding on the ground. Thankfully, I came away with only road rash and a few sutures (and am grateful to the riders who *did* stop to help). So, I've been recovering for the past few weeks.

Anyway, I made it back out for another run today. About 8km, mostly shod in Vibrams, but did do a short stretch barefoot. I tried to keep all the techniques in mind and think I did alright although my right foot is a bit sore now. I had a great time out there; I'll have to be disciplined to rest up tomorrow. :)

Was this during a race?

Yes it was...if you consider the daily commute a Cat 6 race...as it seems many riders in the city do.

(This is a bad joke; amateur bicycle racing here includes 5 categories for increasing levels of experience and ability. Cat 5 is the entry level, beginner category.)

I was just riding home after work on a Friday. A date night with my wife turned into a ER visit...but she was very gracious and didn't hold it against me. :)

Anyway, thanks again for your support...I'm back on the road. Keeping it wheels down and feet on the ground. It was really nice to be out for a run today.

That makes me so mad, that the person didn't even stop to see if you were okay and help you! sigh.

Glad you are well.

Please feel free to join the New York Chapter. Chris is a good guy and I hear fun to run with.

Reactions: DNEchris

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7