Hello all... Here's a more formal introduction

otoole4info

Barefooters
Feb 3, 2013
Waverly, NY
Ok, so now I guess I'll more formally introduce myself in a self created thread.

My name is Kevin. You'll notice my screen name or "handle" is otoole4info - There's a story behind that... Perhaps when I have an opportunity, I'll post the what, where and why that came about.

Barefoot running for me, I guess you could say I'm a newbie. I've tried it in the past just out of curiousity (running in the yard, etc). I would say I've been a shod runner off and on for maybe 20 years or so since running track in Junior High. I've always enjoyed running, even the pain sometimes inflicted afterward while being shod.

It wasn't until just last year that I entered into more "formal" training and actually entered a few races, a 5K obstacle trail run, my first ever half-marathon in September of 2012 in Corning, NY, the Stockadeathon in Schenectady, NY and a couple more 5K's. The most recent was New Years Day.

I've always been intrigued about going barefoot and have gone barefoot as often as I could for as long as I remember. I just never ran any great distance barefoot or thought about doing it all the time. I'd always get the comment, "How can you walk on that...." (usually refering to the drive way, #2 gravel with a mixture of smooth and sharp rocks. My reply was always, I don't know.... I just can.

Over the past year what really got me interested was a good friend lent me the book, "Born to Run". I liked it so much I went out and bought my own copy so I could read it again. I continued on with my shod running while keeping barefoot and minimalist running in the depths of my mind. Then the same very good friend gave me a gift for Christmas, "Barefoot Running Step-by-step by Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton and Roy M. Wallack. While reading it I decided to ditch the shoes after the New Years Day 5K.

I intially thought I'd try and do a mixture of barefoot-shod-barefoot training..... It wasn't working for me, so I decided to go from the ground up literally. The only time I wear footware is while working as I'm required to and I wear leather type slippers when I have to go into a public place that requires you have something on your feet.

So here I am.... I thank all of you for the welcome comments on my previous "informal introduction" on another members thread.

Kevin aka otoole4info

PS. spelling, typos and grammatical errors are just part of me, fingers go faster than the mind sometimes.

Reactions: happysongbird
At least you figured it out. In order to learn how to run barefoot, you have to run...barefoot. I believe it's the best way to learn. It lessens your chance of injury, by going back and forth, and it helps you to progress much quicker, if your aim is to run fully barefoot. Once you've got a good form going, then reintroduce the shoes but only when truly needed though.

Welcome!

Reactions: happysongbird