first run in the snow!

Smelph

Barefooters
Nov 5, 2010
I got up this morning to about 1/4 inch of snow on the ground, and despite tomorrow being my day to run I just had to get out there and see how it was. I gotta say it wasn't bad, but it could be a whole lot better.

being in kind of a hurry, my warmup consisted of layering up in my gear (compression shirt, long sleeve tech shirt, cotton T, pants, hat, gloves) and doing some jumping jacks in the kitchen for a minute or so. probably should have done more, but time was not on my side this morning.

stepped out into the snow and man was it cold! colder than anything I had previously run in with the possible exception of the wet grass last week at the local turkey trot. I grinned and beared it though, knowing it would be just a couple minutes until my feet warmed up. I hit the streets and took off.

the first 5 minutes went more or less as expected, with my feet getting up to temperature. the ground was wet and cold, and I was concerned about the coldness of the ole toes, but I've been through that many times before and told myself it would just be another minute. just after the 5 minute mark I could feel my feet heating up, and I was relieved.

the next 5 minutes was pretty good, with my feet feeling pretty good. the snow hid a lot of the normal sticks and stones that I usually skip around, so there were several painful steps involving hidden treasure. all in all not bad, but at about hte 10 minute mark my feet started getting chilly again and my achilles felt like it was tightening up (I have been rehabbing some mild tendonitis for a few weeks now) so I decided it was best to turn around and head for home.

it took me 8 minutes to get home, as I picked up my pace a bit to get home faster. not necessarily the wisest choice with my now sore achilles, but it made the feet warm up a little more which was a plus. stepped on plenty more sticks and stones, and my feet got cold again after a few minutes. by the time I got home they were pretty cold indeed!

once inside the feet warmed up pretty quickly, which was great, and now they feel pretty good, so recovery from the cold wasn't too bad. all in all I'm going to call it a positive experience, though the shorter distance and problems with the cold were a little disappointing. next time I will allot more time for warming up and things should go more smoothly.

Good work Smelph.  I'm glad

Good work Smelph. I'm glad you had a positive snow running experience. I've been really enjoying it as well. You did the right thing heading in sooner rather than later. Those toes need time to adjust to the sensation of being that cold. Keep it up!

Perhaps each time you do it,

Perhaps each time you do it, just a little more each time, you get more used to it. Take pictures next time and share them here. I love seeing all my fellow crazies running barefoot in the snow.

Thanks guys!I definitely

Thanks guys!

I definitely felt like a weirdo out there, but it was pretty awesome to see my footprints in the snow on the way back to the house. ;)

Next time I think I'll plan on more warmup time so my feet don't have to wait quite as log to heat up after hitting the snow, and I think ramping up the snow-time slowly is a great idea, particularly since I don't want to wind up going too far and having my feet too cold on the way back.

I'll see if I can get a picture next time. I run by myself, so it might be tout to get a good angle, but I'll see what I can do ;)

There are lots of fun moments

There are lots of fun moments to be had in the snow. I just did a group run with my Team in Training group. Before every run we stand in a circle and do announcements and whatnot. After we were done I was about to start my run when I noticed I had melted the 1-2 inches of snow beneath my feet, and was standing on blacktop. I find that very amusing.

And yes...pictures are good.

What does your team think of

What does your team think of your running barefoot, SP?

Haven't been running for some

Haven't been running for some time - giving my feet some more time to heal and strenghten. Plus it has been freezing and snowing lately. I was sick during the brief non-freezing interval, too.

I had to go post some mail this evening and decided I just had to take a run. Wool socks appear to work fine for traction and warmth (-5 C tonight) - I don't dare bare feet yet. This was so much fun. I ran around the block and I crave for more. Day after tomorrow I hope...

I always recommend socks for

I always recommend socks for dry winter running when the temps are too low. They are by far the best minimalist footwear out there. Glad you enjoyed it and are well enough to do so.

I ran about 3 miles on snow

I ran about 3 miles on snow Saturday- I thought I was having a blast, but the other 1.5 miles of jagged icy mud tore my feet up a bit, as did the big-ass rock I kicked with my big toe and tore off a chunk on the top. Have hot spots on both feet but should be okay tomorrow. Can't figure out how to post the pic, sorry.

My water shoes have awsome traction on the snow and ice and stayed put during the steepest descent. Thinking this week will try the socks on the pavement as you suggest TJ. I need to figure out the best FAT so I can just run.

Ouch, Twink!  That rock

Ouch, Twink! That rock deserves to be kicked!

Ya, I'm thinking the rock

Ya, I'm thinking the rock won! I was worried that while I was leaving bloody prints in the snow, everyone up there who saw me BF will know it was my foot. Darnit!

That's why you stop now and

That's why you stop now and again to draw a heart or smiley face in the snow with your blood-dripping big toe. ;-)

I got myself sealskinz

I got myself sealskinz (watertight socks) so my feet don't get wet when I run in my socks on the wet snow or through a puddle. I wear my wool socks on top to protect the selskinz and it's great - fantastic tracktion, too. Of course I still only run short distances in town. Have a look? www.sealskinz.com/socks

Bee, that seems like an

Bee, that seems like an unbeatable combination. ;-)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon